Officials from Yemen’s Houthi movement expressed surprise at the Saudi Arabian government’s announcement that it is ending the current military operation in Yemen.
Abdelmalik Ijri did, however, say that the Houthis have been pushing for a ceasefire for awhile, and that the Saudi move seemed to coincide with progress made on the talks.
This might be overly optimistic, however, as Saudi officials followed up the announcement that they’re ending the operation with an announcement that they’re launching a new, differently named but seemingly identical, military operation against Yemen.
The Houthis aren’t the only ones mistaking the Saudi announcement for an end to the war, with Iranian officials, also loudly calling for a ceasefire, saying the declaration was a welcome “step forward.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Multiple Bombings Kill 40 Across Pakistan - June 23rd, 2017
- Obama Ordered Cyberweapons Implanted Into Russia's Infrastructure - June 23rd, 2017
- Pakistan: We Won't Tolerate Drone Strikes on Our Soil - June 22nd, 2017
- Iraq PM: Destruction of Mosul Mosque Proves ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- Turkey: US Promised to Take Back Kurds' Arms After ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017