Officials from Yemen’s Houthi movement expressed surprise at the Saudi Arabian government’s announcement that it is ending the current military operation in Yemen.
Abdelmalik Ijri did, however, say that the Houthis have been pushing for a ceasefire for awhile, and that the Saudi move seemed to coincide with progress made on the talks.
This might be overly optimistic, however, as Saudi officials followed up the announcement that they’re ending the operation with an announcement that they’re launching a new, differently named but seemingly identical, military operation against Yemen.
The Houthis aren’t the only ones mistaking the Saudi announcement for an end to the war, with Iranian officials, also loudly calling for a ceasefire, saying the declaration was a welcome “step forward.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Tanks Attack Syrian Army Post Over Errant Mortar Fire - October 19th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Holding Foreign ISIS Leaders - October 19th, 2017
- ISIS Seizes Villages South of Kirkuk as Iraq Focuses on Kurds - October 19th, 2017
- Pentagon Opens Niger Ambush Probe, Seeking Details on What Happened - October 19th, 2017
- State Dept Contradicts Trump on Cuba 'Attack' Accusation - October 19th, 2017