Officials from Yemen’s Houthi movement expressed surprise at the Saudi Arabian government’s announcement that it is ending the current military operation in Yemen.
Abdelmalik Ijri did, however, say that the Houthis have been pushing for a ceasefire for awhile, and that the Saudi move seemed to coincide with progress made on the talks.
This might be overly optimistic, however, as Saudi officials followed up the announcement that they’re ending the operation with an announcement that they’re launching a new, differently named but seemingly identical, military operation against Yemen.
The Houthis aren’t the only ones mistaking the Saudi announcement for an end to the war, with Iranian officials, also loudly calling for a ceasefire, saying the declaration was a welcome “step forward.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pompeo Rejects EU Appeal for Iran Sanctions Exemptions - July 16th, 2018
- US Commander: Afghan ISIS Resilient to US Attacks, Almost Impossible to Defeat - July 16th, 2018
- Israel Attacks on Aleppo Air Base Killed at Least 22 - July 16th, 2018
- White House Orders Diplomats to Seek Direct Talks With Afghan Taliban - July 16th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill at Least Eight Civilians in Eastern Syria - July 16th, 2018