Officials from Yemen’s Houthi movement expressed surprise at the Saudi Arabian government’s announcement that it is ending the current military operation in Yemen.
Abdelmalik Ijri did, however, say that the Houthis have been pushing for a ceasefire for awhile, and that the Saudi move seemed to coincide with progress made on the talks.
This might be overly optimistic, however, as Saudi officials followed up the announcement that they’re ending the operation with an announcement that they’re launching a new, differently named but seemingly identical, military operation against Yemen.
The Houthis aren’t the only ones mistaking the Saudi announcement for an end to the war, with Iranian officials, also loudly calling for a ceasefire, saying the declaration was a welcome “step forward.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018
- Turkey Attacks Hospital in Syria's Afrin, Killing Nine - March 16th, 2018