A leaked confidential military report from the Spanish Armed Forces has determined that the death of Corporal Ivan Lopez Sanchez, a soldier who was serving in the UN observer force in Lebanon, was the result of a deliberate Israeli attack.
Cpl. Sanchez died in Lebanon on January 28 in an Israeli shelling. On January 18 Israel attacked a group of Hezbollah anti-ISIS fighters in Syria, killing five of them. The January 28 incident came when Hezbollah forces in Lebanon killed a pair of Israeli soldiers.
Instead of retaliating against the Hezbollah forces at the Lebanon border, Israel launched artillery strikes deeper inland, hitting a UN observation post and killing the Spanish corporal.
This was not the first time Cpl. Sanchez’s killing was indicated to have been intentional, as the UN noted that the Israeli strikes zeroed in specifically on the known observer post, and made no attempt to hit the source of the fire in Lebanon.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Foreign ISIS Fighters Left in Raqqa Face 'Certain Death' - October 22nd, 2017
- US-Made Vehicles Led Iraqi Invasion of Kurdish Town - October 22nd, 2017
- Niger Ambush Serves as Excuse for AFRICOM to Seek More Funds - October 22nd, 2017
- Catalan Leaders Vow to Resist Spain's Attempted Takeover - October 22nd, 2017
- Spain Seeks Huge Power Transfer in Trying to Oust Catalan Leadership - October 22nd, 2017