Palestinian refugees at the Yarmouk Refugee Camp in metro Damascus are reporting an ugly crackdown on resistance by ISIS, claiming the militants are beheading people after several days of fighting over the camp.
Before the Syrian Civil War, the camp was treated as basically a suburb of Damascus. Now, what was once 200,000 civilians is down to around 10,000, with massive exoduses every time the fighting picks up.
The ISIS takeover is just another step in the ever-worsening humanitarian crisis at the camp, and their arrival has led to barrel bomb strikes, aimed at ISIS forces but inevitably also endangering the civilian populace.
ISIS has been pushing into the camp since Wednesday and is believed to hold 90 percent of it. The camp is their only major possession in the area around Damascus.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinians Slam Planned US Embassy Move to Jerusalem - February 23rd, 2018
- White House Orders Military Parade for Veterans Day - February 23rd, 2018
- Turkish Army Attacks Afrin Convoy, Kurds Say It Was Full of Aid - February 23rd, 2018
- Nigeria Sends More Troops to Look for Missing Girls - February 23rd, 2018
- Trump Vows 'Largest Ever' North Korea Sanctions, Threatens Ominous 'Phase Two' - February 23rd, 2018