Talks on the Iranian nuclear deal once again resumed in Switzerland today, with a focus on technical issues which appear to be the only major obstacle left to work out.
Iranian nuclear energy chief Ali Salehi was extremely upbeat about the talks, saying some 90% of the technical issues are already worked out, and that the other points of difference need to be worked out.
US officials were less hopeful, saying that there is some progress but that there are a lot of “tough issues” to address about the final deal. There is a soft deadline of the end of the month for an outline of the deal.
US officials are often more negative about the prospect of a deal as a matter of course, trying to keep Congressional and Israeli Lobby opposition from exploding over the pact.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Tanks Attack Syrian Army Post Over Errant Mortar Fire - October 19th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Holding Foreign ISIS Leaders - October 19th, 2017
- ISIS Seizes Villages South of Kirkuk as Iraq Focuses on Kurds - October 19th, 2017
- Pentagon Opens Niger Ambush Probe, Seeking Details on What Happened - October 19th, 2017
- State Dept Contradicts Trump on Cuba 'Attack' Accusation - October 19th, 2017