Freed Spanish journalist Javier Espinosa has provided some of the most intimate details of ISIS’ detention policies for western hostages yet, describing the facility the group is building as an attempt to replicate the US facility at Guantanamo Bay.
“They had this project for a long time,” Espinosa said, “they told us at the beginning they wanted to intern Westerners in a high-security prison with cameras and lots of guards.”
The site, north of Aleppo, held as many as 23 Westerners at any given time, including Europeans, Americans, Latin-Americans, and humanitarian workers from elsewhere.
The detainees were subjected to repeat mock executions, and forced to look at pictures of other detainees who had been executed, being told they were likely to be next.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Army Makes Major Gains in Eastern Ghouta - March 23rd, 2018
- Kurdish Rebels Flee Iraq Border Area, Anticipating Turkish Attack - March 23rd, 2018
- Trump Signs New Bill Slashing Aid to Palestinians - March 23rd, 2018
- Russia Intends to Substantially Cut Military Spending Over Next Five Years - March 23rd, 2018
- Majority of $1.3 Trillion US Omnibus Spending Bill Goes to Military - March 23rd, 2018