Freed Spanish journalist Javier Espinosa has provided some of the most intimate details of ISIS’ detention policies for western hostages yet, describing the facility the group is building as an attempt to replicate the US facility at Guantanamo Bay.
“They had this project for a long time,” Espinosa said, “they told us at the beginning they wanted to intern Westerners in a high-security prison with cameras and lots of guards.”
The site, north of Aleppo, held as many as 23 Westerners at any given time, including Europeans, Americans, Latin-Americans, and humanitarian workers from elsewhere.
The detainees were subjected to repeat mock executions, and forced to look at pictures of other detainees who had been executed, being told they were likely to be next.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Wants High-Profile Meeting With Putin at G20 Summit - June 26th, 2017
- House Spending Bill Threatens to Suspend Nuclear Treaty With Russia - June 26th, 2017
- Bahrain Accuses Qatar of Seeking 'Military Escalation' - June 26th, 2017
- White House Appears to Be Planning Attack on Assad - June 26th, 2017
- Top Senator Blocks Gulf Arms Sales Over Qatar Crisis - June 26th, 2017