Freed Spanish journalist Javier Espinosa has provided some of the most intimate details of ISIS’ detention policies for western hostages yet, describing the facility the group is building as an attempt to replicate the US facility at Guantanamo Bay.
“They had this project for a long time,” Espinosa said, “they told us at the beginning they wanted to intern Westerners in a high-security prison with cameras and lots of guards.”
The site, north of Aleppo, held as many as 23 Westerners at any given time, including Europeans, Americans, Latin-Americans, and humanitarian workers from elsewhere.
The detainees were subjected to repeat mock executions, and forced to look at pictures of other detainees who had been executed, being told they were likely to be next.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Latest US Navy Collision Fuels Speculation About 'Hacking' - August 22nd, 2017
- US, North Korea Clash at UN Forum Over Nuclear Arms - August 22nd, 2017
- NATO Chief Declares Alliance 'Fully Committed' to US War in Afghan - August 22nd, 2017
- Haley Demands IAEA Launch New Inspections of Iran Military Sites - August 22nd, 2017
- No End in Sight for US War in Afghanistan - August 22nd, 2017