Freed Spanish journalist Javier Espinosa has provided some of the most intimate details of ISIS’ detention policies for western hostages yet, describing the facility the group is building as an attempt to replicate the US facility at Guantanamo Bay.
“They had this project for a long time,” Espinosa said, “they told us at the beginning they wanted to intern Westerners in a high-security prison with cameras and lots of guards.”
The site, north of Aleppo, held as many as 23 Westerners at any given time, including Europeans, Americans, Latin-Americans, and humanitarian workers from elsewhere.
The detainees were subjected to repeat mock executions, and forced to look at pictures of other detainees who had been executed, being told they were likely to be next.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- NATO Warns Russian Missile Might Violate Missile Treaty - December 15th, 2017
- US Allegations of Iran Missiles in Yemen Met With Skepticism - December 15th, 2017
- Mattis: North Korean Missiles Not a 'Capable Threat' Against US - December 15th, 2017
- Israeli Troops Kill Four Palestinians, Wound 160 at Friday Protests - December 15th, 2017
- Trump Allies: Tillerson Hasn't Learned His Lesson - December 15th, 2017