Freed Spanish journalist Javier Espinosa has provided some of the most intimate details of ISIS’ detention policies for western hostages yet, describing the facility the group is building as an attempt to replicate the US facility at Guantanamo Bay.
“They had this project for a long time,” Espinosa said, “they told us at the beginning they wanted to intern Westerners in a high-security prison with cameras and lots of guards.”
The site, north of Aleppo, held as many as 23 Westerners at any given time, including Europeans, Americans, Latin-Americans, and humanitarian workers from elsewhere.
The detainees were subjected to repeat mock executions, and forced to look at pictures of other detainees who had been executed, being told they were likely to be next.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalans Rally at Barcelona Parliament, Push for Independence - October 21st, 2017
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017