Some 3,000 US ground troops along with over 100 US armored vehicles, heavy equipment and attack helicopters, have been deployed to the Baltic state of Latvia for exercises.
NATO is trumpeting the operation, which spans Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia, as Operation Atlantic Resolve, and Pentagon officials say the operation is targeted at neighboring Russia.
General John O’Connor, speaking from Latvia earlier today, said the tanks and armored vehicles sent to the region would remain after the operation and “for aas long as required to deter Russian aggression.”
The Baltic states and Poland have been hyping the risk of a Russian invasion in recent months, aiming to get NATO to pledge larger deployments of Western troops to their nations. The US, eager to needle Russia, has eagerly gone on with the narrative, adding more and more troops to the region.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Tanks Attack Syrian Army Post Over Errant Mortar Fire - October 19th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Holding Foreign ISIS Leaders - October 19th, 2017
- ISIS Seizes Villages South of Kirkuk as Iraq Focuses on Kurds - October 19th, 2017
- Pentagon Opens Niger Ambush Probe, Seeking Details on What Happened - October 19th, 2017
- State Dept Contradicts Trump on Cuba 'Attack' Accusation - October 19th, 2017