Some 3,000 US ground troops along with over 100 US armored vehicles, heavy equipment and attack helicopters, have been deployed to the Baltic state of Latvia for exercises.
NATO is trumpeting the operation, which spans Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia, as Operation Atlantic Resolve, and Pentagon officials say the operation is targeted at neighboring Russia.
General John O’Connor, speaking from Latvia earlier today, said the tanks and armored vehicles sent to the region would remain after the operation and “for aas long as required to deter Russian aggression.”
The Baltic states and Poland have been hyping the risk of a Russian invasion in recent months, aiming to get NATO to pledge larger deployments of Western troops to their nations. The US, eager to needle Russia, has eagerly gone on with the narrative, adding more and more troops to the region.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinian Authority Threatens to Cut All Gaza Funds - August 21st, 2017
- Report: ISIS Attacks Grew in 2016, Despite Shrinking Territory - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Promises to 'Deal With Pakistan' on Afghan War - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Declares Open-Ended War in Afghanistan - August 21st, 2017
- Trump's Pentagon to Spend Nearly $500 Million on Gitmo Construction - August 21st, 2017