Tensions between the Obama Administration and the Israeli government are at an all-time high, with many experts warning that the relations are near a breaking point. So far that’s not impacting the Israeli lobbying for US funds.
Israeli officials are said to be lobbying Congress for another $300 million in subsidies for missile defense programs, above and beyond over $3 billion they are already tapped to receive in military aid this year.
In the past, Congress has given Israel everything it sought and more as a matter of course, and the Republican leadership is probably still inclined that way, since the acrimony is extremely partisan in nature.
Still, Congressional Democrats may not be as willing to just rubber stamp Israeli aid as they once were, particularly while Prime Minister Netanyahu is openly undermining US diplomacy.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Yemeni al-Qaeda Denies Secret Deal With UAE - August 17th, 2018
- Afghan President Visits Ghazni to Declare Victory, but Fighting Is Ongoing - August 17th, 2018
- Bomb That Killed Scores of Children in Yemen Was US Supplied - August 17th, 2018
- US Redirects Syria Funds, Emphasizes It Is Not Withdrawing - August 17th, 2018
- Officials Worry Trump May Back Erik Prince Plan to 'Privatize' Afghan War - August 17th, 2018