Tensions between the Obama Administration and the Israeli government are at an all-time high, with many experts warning that the relations are near a breaking point. So far that’s not impacting the Israeli lobbying for US funds.
Israeli officials are said to be lobbying Congress for another $300 million in subsidies for missile defense programs, above and beyond over $3 billion they are already tapped to receive in military aid this year.
In the past, Congress has given Israel everything it sought and more as a matter of course, and the Republican leadership is probably still inclined that way, since the acrimony is extremely partisan in nature.
Still, Congressional Democrats may not be as willing to just rubber stamp Israeli aid as they once were, particularly while Prime Minister Netanyahu is openly undermining US diplomacy.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudis Demolish Historic Shi'ite Neighborhood, Sparking Unrest - June 27th, 2017
- Turkey, Kurdish Forces Trade Fire in North Syria's Afrin District - June 27th, 2017
- Mattis: US Will Keep Arming Syrian Kurds After Raqqa Falls - June 27th, 2017
- Russia: US Warning to Syria Is Unacceptable - June 27th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Insists Qatar Demands Are 'Non-Negotiable' - June 27th, 2017