Tensions between the Obama Administration and the Israeli government are at an all-time high, with many experts warning that the relations are near a breaking point. So far that’s not impacting the Israeli lobbying for US funds.
Israeli officials are said to be lobbying Congress for another $300 million in subsidies for missile defense programs, above and beyond over $3 billion they are already tapped to receive in military aid this year.
In the past, Congress has given Israel everything it sought and more as a matter of course, and the Republican leadership is probably still inclined that way, since the acrimony is extremely partisan in nature.
Still, Congressional Democrats may not be as willing to just rubber stamp Israeli aid as they once were, particularly while Prime Minister Netanyahu is openly undermining US diplomacy.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Officials Trying to Finalize Legal Language to Expand Gitmo's Use - August 20th, 2017
- White House Continues to Talk Up 'Preventative War' Against North Korea - August 20th, 2017
- Trump Elevates US Cyber Command to a Formal Military Command - August 20th, 2017
- Abbas: After 20 Meetings I Still Don't Understand Trump's Peace Plan - August 20th, 2017
- Lebanon's Army Advances Deep Into ISIS-Held Border Territory - August 20th, 2017