Speculation about yet another terror plot uncovered with the overnight arrest of five Chechens in southern France with a large cache of explosives may have been premature, according to investigators.
Local prosecutors say that the men were not known to anti-terrorist police, and that there was no evidence of any involvement by any in terrorist groups, and that rather they fit the profile of an organized crime faction.
Though the investigators said they won’t rule anything out at this point, they consider it “highly unlikely” that they were actually planning some sort of large scale terrorist attack.
Initial reports that a soccer stadium was their target appear to have been based entirely on the fact that they found the explosives in a neighborhood near a soccer stadium, are being discounted because the team that plays there isn’t scheduled to have any games for almost two weeks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Gaza Ceasefire Largely Holding After Weekend Flareup - July 15th, 2018
- US Officials Say Trainer Policies May Change After Afghan Insider Attack - July 15th, 2018
- Israel Attacks Airbase Outside Northern Syrian City of Aleppo - July 15th, 2018
- Trump Lowers Expectations for Russia Summit - July 15th, 2018
- Afghan Civilian Deaths Hit Record High, Says UN - July 15th, 2018