Speculation about yet another terror plot uncovered with the overnight arrest of five Chechens in southern France with a large cache of explosives may have been premature, according to investigators.
Local prosecutors say that the men were not known to anti-terrorist police, and that there was no evidence of any involvement by any in terrorist groups, and that rather they fit the profile of an organized crime faction.
Though the investigators said they won’t rule anything out at this point, they consider it “highly unlikely” that they were actually planning some sort of large scale terrorist attack.
Initial reports that a soccer stadium was their target appear to have been based entirely on the fact that they found the explosives in a neighborhood near a soccer stadium, are being discounted because the team that plays there isn’t scheduled to have any games for almost two weeks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Supplied Arms Often Ended Up in ISIS Hands - December 14th, 2017
- White House Corrects Tillerson, Rejects North Korea Talks - December 13th, 2017
- White House Accuses Abbas of 'Preventing Peace' With Criticism - December 13th, 2017
- US Expected to Sanction Iran Because of Worsening Conditions in Yemen - December 13th, 2017
- Saudi Airstrikes Against Yemen Capital Kill 39 - December 13th, 2017