Speculation about yet another terror plot uncovered with the overnight arrest of five Chechens in southern France with a large cache of explosives may have been premature, according to investigators.
Local prosecutors say that the men were not known to anti-terrorist police, and that there was no evidence of any involvement by any in terrorist groups, and that rather they fit the profile of an organized crime faction.
Though the investigators said they won’t rule anything out at this point, they consider it “highly unlikely” that they were actually planning some sort of large scale terrorist attack.
Initial reports that a soccer stadium was their target appear to have been based entirely on the fact that they found the explosives in a neighborhood near a soccer stadium, are being discounted because the team that plays there isn’t scheduled to have any games for almost two weeks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Drone Strikes Kill 31 People in Pakistan Tribal Areas - October 17th, 2017
- Catalonia Won't Renounce Independence, Despite Looming Deadline - October 17th, 2017
- Pentagon May Stop Training Iraqis Amid Kurdish Conflict - October 17th, 2017
- Kurdish Forces Abandon Territory In Face of Iraqi Offensive - October 17th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Declare Victory in Raqqa, But Face Complicated Peace - October 17th, 2017