At least 39 people have been reported killed today in a pair of Syrian airstrikes against ISIS-controlled territory. Rebels are saying that the majority of the slain are civilians.
27 of the slain were in a cattle market in the village of Khansaa, near the Iraqi border. Some rebels are saying the toll could rise, potentially dramatically, are a number of others are wounded.
The attack appears to have been one of the barrel bomb strikes which so often kill civilians. The use of the weapons, oil barrels full of explosives, has been criticized for its inaccuracy, with the barrels often careening wildly off-course and hitting civilians.
11 other civilians were reported slain in Saraqeb in another airstrike. Locals say they come under virtually daily attack, either from Syria or the US. Today’s strikes were Syrian.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump: Afghan War Decisions Made - August 19th, 2017
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017