At least six Ukrainian soldiers were killed and another 18 wounded in the past 24 hours, according to military officials, as fighting over the Donetsk airport has once again picked up.
They reported the rebels, who are based in Donetsk, have launched a full-scale offensive against the airport, the last territory in the area that the Ukrainian military holds. By evening some rebels were claiming the airport was captured, though this is as yet unconfirmed.
The value of the airport is largely symbolic, as it is in the de facto rebel capital. The terminal and the runways are mostly destroyed from months of fighting, and are unlikely to be repaired any time soon.
The EU and Russia have been trying to kickstart peace talks between the rebels and the military, but so far have not been successful. Previous agreements have kept the fighting mostly calm, and restricted to a few areas.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Tanks Attack Syrian Army Post Over Errant Mortar Fire - October 19th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Holding Foreign ISIS Leaders - October 19th, 2017
- ISIS Seizes Villages South of Kirkuk as Iraq Focuses on Kurds - October 19th, 2017
- Pentagon Opens Niger Ambush Probe, Seeking Details on What Happened - October 19th, 2017
- State Dept Contradicts Trump on Cuba 'Attack' Accusation - October 19th, 2017