A new video from ISIS shows a young boy of indeterminate age executing a pair of “Russian spies” who the group claimed to have captured, and who were interrogated on the video.
One of the men confirmed he previously had worked for Russia’s FSB security agency, and was told to collect information abut ISIS. The other was a Kazakh citizen who also claimed to have been recruited to spy on ISIS.
Such video confessions are common in the Middle East, and are often coerced. There was no further information on either of the men, though ISIS did claim that one of them had killed an ISIS fighter.
Though ISIS videos often feature children, this is the first time a child was seen to have carried out an execution in one of the videos.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Red Cross to Send 'Test Shipment' of Rice to Northern Yemen - August 16th, 2017
- Report: Saudis Increasing Yemen Airstrikes, Killing More Civilians - August 16th, 2017
- US: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain Fail to Respect Religious Freedom - August 16th, 2017
- In US-Backed Kurdish Invasion of Raqqa, Arab Allies Struggle to Find a Role - August 16th, 2017
- Syria Shifts War Focus to ISIS-Held Eastern Territory - August 16th, 2017