12 civilians were killed and an unknown number of others were wounded between the town of Volnovakha and Mariupol, in southeastern Ukraine, when a stray artillery shell hit a passenger bus.
The Ukrainian government and eastern rebels traded blame for the incident, with the military saying they believed the rebels were trying to hit a military roadblock down the road.
A ceasefire has prevailed over much of eastern Ukraine for months, but the OSCE warned that the situation is deteriorating in the past 24 hours, in particular with fighting near the Donetsk airport.
The Ukrainian military has held the Donetsk airport throughout this civil war, but the city itself is the capital of the rebel region. Many of the fights have centered around this region, though the airport is virtually destroyed at this point.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Over 170 Casualties in Afghan Election Attacks - October 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018