A new video shows a group of Afghan and Pakistan militants who have pledged allegiance to ISIS beheading a captured Pakistani soldier, the first such video to come out of the region.
The video shows a large group of militants waving ISIS flags in a forest. Former Pakistani Taliban spokesman Shahidullah Shahid is seen in the video declaring support for ISIS caliph Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
The video will inevitably add to concern about ISIS’ expanding influence in the region, which had long been dominated by more region-specific Taliban leaders.
Shahid was one of several Pakistani Taliban figures who left the group in favor of ISIS. Young jihad-minded Afghans, who have traditionally also been Taliban recruits, have been a lot more interested in flocking to Syria and Iraq in recent months to join ISIS.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- House: No Authorization for US to Attack Iran - May 25th, 2018
- Report: Israel Struck Syria Airbase to Target Hezbollah Members - May 25th, 2018
- Pompeo Assures South Korea That US Is Committed to Denuclearization - May 25th, 2018
- South Korea Disappointed at Abrupt US Decision to Cancel Kim Summit - May 25th, 2018
- Trump, Mattis Say June 12 Summit With North Korea Could Still Happen - May 25th, 2018