Lebanese forces have reported capturing Saja Hamid al-Dulaimi and her son, saying it is possible that the woman is one of the wives of ISIS Caliph Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
That’s the hope at least, with Rep. Adam Schiff (D – CA) and others excited about the capture, saying if she turns out to be Baghdadi’s wife, she might be able to provide insight into whether he’s wounded, and how wounded he might be.
That’s a big if, however, as Lebanese officials concede they don’t know if the woman, one of those released by the Syrian government during a prisoner exchange with Jabhat al-Nusra, is Baghdadi’s wife, or possibly ex-wife, or possibly some Nusra member’s wife.
Indeed, the whole speculation about her being his wife seems to center on both of them being from Samarra, which Lebanese officials concede is “insufficient evidence.”
Whatever the case, officials say that they’re confident she’s somebody’s wife, and in a position of power with some jihadist faction, whether ISIS or Nusra, so her capture is still worthwhile.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pakistan: We Won't Tolerate Drone Strikes on Our Soil - June 22nd, 2017
- Iraq PM: Destruction of Mosul Mosque Proves ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- Turkey: US Promised to Take Back Kurds' Arms After ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- White House Lobbying to Water Down Russia Sanctions Bill - June 22nd, 2017
- House Armed Services Committee Advances $640 Billion Military Spending Bill - June 22nd, 2017