Lebanese forces have reported capturing Saja Hamid al-Dulaimi and her son, saying it is possible that the woman is one of the wives of ISIS Caliph Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
That’s the hope at least, with Rep. Adam Schiff (D – CA) and others excited about the capture, saying if she turns out to be Baghdadi’s wife, she might be able to provide insight into whether he’s wounded, and how wounded he might be.
That’s a big if, however, as Lebanese officials concede they don’t know if the woman, one of those released by the Syrian government during a prisoner exchange with Jabhat al-Nusra, is Baghdadi’s wife, or possibly ex-wife, or possibly some Nusra member’s wife.
Indeed, the whole speculation about her being his wife seems to center on both of them being from Samarra, which Lebanese officials concede is “insufficient evidence.”
Whatever the case, officials say that they’re confident she’s somebody’s wife, and in a position of power with some jihadist faction, whether ISIS or Nusra, so her capture is still worthwhile.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- China Outraged at US Sanctions for Buying Russia Arms - September 21st, 2018
- Pentagon Hypes Taliban Body Counts to Try to Sell White House on Afghan War - September 20th, 2018
- South Yemen Separatists Vow to Continue Offensive Against Hodeidah Port - September 20th, 2018
- Kim, Moon End Inter-Korean Summit at Peak of Sacred North Korea Volcano - September 20th, 2018
- Kim Seeks Second Trump Summit to Speed Denuclearization - September 20th, 2018