Lebanese forces have reported capturing Saja Hamid al-Dulaimi and her son, saying it is possible that the woman is one of the wives of ISIS Caliph Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
That’s the hope at least, with Rep. Adam Schiff (D – CA) and others excited about the capture, saying if she turns out to be Baghdadi’s wife, she might be able to provide insight into whether he’s wounded, and how wounded he might be.
That’s a big if, however, as Lebanese officials concede they don’t know if the woman, one of those released by the Syrian government during a prisoner exchange with Jabhat al-Nusra, is Baghdadi’s wife, or possibly ex-wife, or possibly some Nusra member’s wife.
Indeed, the whole speculation about her being his wife seems to center on both of them being from Samarra, which Lebanese officials concede is “insufficient evidence.”
Whatever the case, officials say that they’re confident she’s somebody’s wife, and in a position of power with some jihadist faction, whether ISIS or Nusra, so her capture is still worthwhile.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Kosovo Parliament Approves Standing Army Over NATO Objections - December 14th, 2018
- US Plans to 'Counter' Russia and China in Africa - December 13th, 2018
- Bolton: Trump Won't Meet Putin While Russia Holds Ukrainian Ships - December 13th, 2018
- Turkey Builds Up Military at Syria Border for Planned Offensive - December 13th, 2018
- Israel to Approve Thousands of Unauthorized West Bank Settler Homes - December 13th, 2018