The FBI bulletin, oddly, warns that protesters will likely use the ruling as a pretext for violence against the government, and that the violence also poses a threat to “constitutionally protected activities,” which presumably means the protesters themselves.
The FBI’s prediction of violence goes well beyond Ferguson, or even metro Saint Louis, and predicts that attacks are likely “nationwide.” In response to the FBI bulletin, police nationwide are gearing up to target “sympathizers” of the protesters.
The FBI is predicting, with serious criticism, that the protesters will be “equipped with tactical gear/gas masks or bulletproof vests to mitigate law enforcement measures.”
By mitigating law enforcement measures, they mean the protesters will be wearing vests so they don’t get killed when shot, and gas masks to avoid suffocation during the near constant volleys of tear gas police are planning to lob at them. In any other context these would be considered defensive measures, but with officials planning another bloody crackdown, they see any limitations on their ability to shoot/gas people as inherently aggressive.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017