Houthi gains in southern and central Yemen continue to mount in the face of fierce resistance from al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), seizing another district in the Maarib Province.
The fighting saw 35 fighters, including 25 Houthis, killed and a number of others wounded. The Houthis chased AQAP and its allies across the border into the Bayda Province.
In addition to the fighters killed in the clashes, another 15 Sunni civilians were reportedly killed in Radda, where the Houthis were shelling areas still resisting their takeover.
AQAP territory is shrinking with the Houthi advance, and with the Houthis backed by parts of the Yemeni military, they seem likely to keep advancing deeper and further cementing their hold on power.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Airstrikes Hit East Syria Military Site, 52 Killed - June 18th, 2018
- Turkish Airstrikes Kill 35 Kurdish PKK in Northern Iraq - June 17th, 2018
- Afghan President Offers Extension as Ramadan Ceasefire Expires - June 17th, 2018
- Saudi Warplanes Strike Airport in Yemen's Hodeidah - June 17th, 2018
- ISIS Suicide Bombers Kill 54 in Two Days in Eastern Afghanistan - June 17th, 2018