Houthi gains in southern and central Yemen continue to mount in the face of fierce resistance from al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), seizing another district in the Maarib Province.
The fighting saw 35 fighters, including 25 Houthis, killed and a number of others wounded. The Houthis chased AQAP and its allies across the border into the Bayda Province.
In addition to the fighters killed in the clashes, another 15 Sunni civilians were reportedly killed in Radda, where the Houthis were shelling areas still resisting their takeover.
AQAP territory is shrinking with the Houthi advance, and with the Houthis backed by parts of the Yemeni military, they seem likely to keep advancing deeper and further cementing their hold on power.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalans Rally at Barcelona Parliament, Push for Independence - October 21st, 2017
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017