Houthi gains in southern and central Yemen continue to mount in the face of fierce resistance from al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), seizing another district in the Maarib Province.
The fighting saw 35 fighters, including 25 Houthis, killed and a number of others wounded. The Houthis chased AQAP and its allies across the border into the Bayda Province.
In addition to the fighters killed in the clashes, another 15 Sunni civilians were reportedly killed in Radda, where the Houthis were shelling areas still resisting their takeover.
AQAP territory is shrinking with the Houthi advance, and with the Houthis backed by parts of the Yemeni military, they seem likely to keep advancing deeper and further cementing their hold on power.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017