Houthi gains in southern and central Yemen continue to mount in the face of fierce resistance from al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), seizing another district in the Maarib Province.
The fighting saw 35 fighters, including 25 Houthis, killed and a number of others wounded. The Houthis chased AQAP and its allies across the border into the Bayda Province.
In addition to the fighters killed in the clashes, another 15 Sunni civilians were reportedly killed in Radda, where the Houthis were shelling areas still resisting their takeover.
AQAP territory is shrinking with the Houthi advance, and with the Houthis backed by parts of the Yemeni military, they seem likely to keep advancing deeper and further cementing their hold on power.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel-Hamas Ceasefire Talks Halt Amid PA Threats - September 23rd, 2018
- China Cancels US Military Talks to Protest Sanctions - September 23rd, 2018
- US Airstrike Kills 18 in Southern Somalia - September 23rd, 2018
- Syrian Observatory: US-Led Coalition Killed 3,300 Civilians in Four Years - September 23rd, 2018
- Jihadist Group Rejects Turkey-Russia Deal on Syria's Idlib - September 23rd, 2018