Houthi gains in southern and central Yemen continue to mount in the face of fierce resistance from al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), seizing another district in the Maarib Province.
The fighting saw 35 fighters, including 25 Houthis, killed and a number of others wounded. The Houthis chased AQAP and its allies across the border into the Bayda Province.
In addition to the fighters killed in the clashes, another 15 Sunni civilians were reportedly killed in Radda, where the Houthis were shelling areas still resisting their takeover.
AQAP territory is shrinking with the Houthi advance, and with the Houthis backed by parts of the Yemeni military, they seem likely to keep advancing deeper and further cementing their hold on power.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Officials See at Least Two More Years of Somalia Combat - December 10th, 2017
- Worldwide Protests Continue Over Trump's Jerusalem Declaration - December 10th, 2017
- Jerusalem Protests Continue Across Palestine - December 10th, 2017
- US Pushes Diplomatic Isolation for North Korea, Despite Being 'Open to Talks' - December 10th, 2017
- State Dept Spends $1 Million Funding Venezuela Opposition - December 10th, 2017