A week of fighting in the eastern Ukrainian rebel capital of Donetsk continued through Friday, with the main clashes again focused on the military-held airport, as rebel tanks tried to push into the area.
The fighting in Donetsk continues to strain the ceasefire across eastern Ukraine, though so far the clashes seem confined to the city itself, with the rest of the region still relatively calm.
While the rebels have pushed toward the airport, the military has shelled rebel-held residential areas in the city, killing 11 people over the course of the week, including 10 on Wednesday.
The US, as it so often does in the case of Ukraine flareups, blamed the situation on Russia, and the State Department demanded that Russia intervene to stop the rebels from attacking the airport.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump: Afghan War Decisions Made - August 19th, 2017
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017