A week of fighting in the eastern Ukrainian rebel capital of Donetsk continued through Friday, with the main clashes again focused on the military-held airport, as rebel tanks tried to push into the area.
The fighting in Donetsk continues to strain the ceasefire across eastern Ukraine, though so far the clashes seem confined to the city itself, with the rest of the region still relatively calm.
While the rebels have pushed toward the airport, the military has shelled rebel-held residential areas in the city, killing 11 people over the course of the week, including 10 on Wednesday.
The US, as it so often does in the case of Ukraine flareups, blamed the situation on Russia, and the State Department demanded that Russia intervene to stop the rebels from attacking the airport.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- South Korea's Moon Ratifies Recent North Korea Deals - October 23rd, 2018
- Pence Won't Rule Out Nukes in Space - October 23rd, 2018
- Syrian Observatory: US Has Killed Over 3,000 Civilians in Syria Since 2014 - October 23rd, 2018
- Bolton: US Plans Talks With Allies Before Leaving Nuclear Pact - October 23rd, 2018
- Bolton Rejects Russian Call to Stay in Nuclear Treaty - October 23rd, 2018