A week of fighting in the eastern Ukrainian rebel capital of Donetsk continued through Friday, with the main clashes again focused on the military-held airport, as rebel tanks tried to push into the area.
The fighting in Donetsk continues to strain the ceasefire across eastern Ukraine, though so far the clashes seem confined to the city itself, with the rest of the region still relatively calm.
While the rebels have pushed toward the airport, the military has shelled rebel-held residential areas in the city, killing 11 people over the course of the week, including 10 on Wednesday.
The US, as it so often does in the case of Ukraine flareups, blamed the situation on Russia, and the State Department demanded that Russia intervene to stop the rebels from attacking the airport.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017