With most of the attention on Syria in the northeast, with US warplanes pounding ISIS, the Israeli military shot down a Syrian Su-24 fighter in the nation’s southwest, along the Golan frontier.
Israel said the plane crossed the border into their own occupied portion of Golan and was shot down. Syria slammed the attack as an act of aggression, while Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon accused Syria of violating their sovereignty.
Israeli military officials said they believe the Syrian plane crossed the border by accident, which Ya’alon did not discount, but insisted Israel would react strongly to “perceived threats” even if they stem from a mistake.
Though early reports were that the pilots ejected to safety from the shootdown, the reports this evening are that they died, either from wounds suffered in the strike or, according to rebels, were executed by the military.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Plans to 'Counter' Russia and China in Africa - December 13th, 2018
- Bolton: Trump Won't Meet Putin While Russia Holds Ukrainian Ships - December 13th, 2018
- Turkey Builds Up Military at Syria Border for Planned Offensive - December 13th, 2018
- Israel to Approve Thousands of Unauthorized West Bank Settler Homes - December 13th, 2018
- Yemen Talks End With Ceasefire Agreed for Hodeidah - December 13th, 2018