What is vote fraud? In Afghanistan the answer isn’t so easy, and two weeks after candidate Ashraf Ghani walked out on the audit, complaining they were throwing out too many ballots, rival Abdullah Abdullah is now doing the same, claiming they aren’t throwing out enough.
Corruption in Afghanistan is ubiquitous to the point of absurdity, and months after the run-off vote it seems impossible that a satisfying result will come out, with the US trying to satisfy both candidates with a power-sharing deal.
Abdullah had previously released audio evidence of the election commission stuffing the ballot boxes in favor of Ghani, and today issued another round of recordings, including the Vice President ordering vote-rigging in Ghani’s favor.
All of that looms large after the election commission reported Ghani beat Abdullah by a significant margin, despite Abdullah being the overwhelming front-runner going into the runoff.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Two Koreas Meet Again With UN on Border Disarmament - October 21st, 2018
- US Denies Killing Syrian Civilians, Says Mosque Was 'Valid Military Target' - October 21st, 2018
- Security Woes, Irregularities Mar Afghanistan's Second Day of Voting - October 21st, 2018
- US General Wounded During Thursday Insider Attack in Afghanistan - October 21st, 2018
- Saudi FM: We Don't Know How Khashoggi Was Killed - October 21st, 2018