In an extremely close vote, the Ukrainian parliament approved a plan to call up yet more reservists and conscript more men under the age of 50 to add to the ongoing ground operation against rebels in the nation’s East.
Ukrainian officials continued to couch this as a reaction to Russia having troops near the border, as well as their ongoing “anti-terrorist operation” against some densely populated cities full of ethnic Russia separatists.
A significant brawl also broke out during the vote, as ultranationalists, who were overwhelmingly in favor of the new conscription, attacked MPs from the Party of Regions, whose political base is mostly in the east.
Officials say most of the new troops will be sent on support or border patrol missions, freeing up more of its military to attack the separatists in Donetsk and Luhansk.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalans Rally at Barcelona Parliament, Push for Independence - October 21st, 2017
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017