The funeral for slain Palestinian teenager Mohammed Abu Khudair was the latest flashpoint in occupied East Jerusalem, as Palestinian demonstrators took to the streets, with many calling for a new intifada against Israel.
Khudair was kidnapped and killed earlier this week on his way home from morning prayers. Israel has yet to arrest anyone, but says they believe the killers were “nationalistically motivated.”
Israeli police, as usual, made matters dramatically worse by restricting access to the al-Aqsa Mosque, one of the holiest places in Islam, a particularly big deal on the first Friday of Ramadan.
Inevitably, protesters clashed with police, with one particularly disturbing video showing Israeli Border Police beating a handcuffed detainee unconscious and dragging his body away. Israel defended the beating, saying the man “resisted arrest.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Drone Strikes Kill 31 People in Pakistan Tribal Areas - October 17th, 2017
- Catalonia Won't Renounce Independence, Despite Looming Deadline - October 17th, 2017
- Pentagon May Stop Training Iraqis Amid Kurdish Conflict - October 17th, 2017
- Kurdish Forces Abandon Territory In Face of Iraqi Offensive - October 17th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Declare Victory in Raqqa, But Face Complicated Peace - October 17th, 2017