The funeral for slain Palestinian teenager Mohammed Abu Khudair was the latest flashpoint in occupied East Jerusalem, as Palestinian demonstrators took to the streets, with many calling for a new intifada against Israel.
Khudair was kidnapped and killed earlier this week on his way home from morning prayers. Israel has yet to arrest anyone, but says they believe the killers were “nationalistically motivated.”
Israeli police, as usual, made matters dramatically worse by restricting access to the al-Aqsa Mosque, one of the holiest places in Islam, a particularly big deal on the first Friday of Ramadan.
Inevitably, protesters clashed with police, with one particularly disturbing video showing Israeli Border Police beating a handcuffed detainee unconscious and dragging his body away. Israel defended the beating, saying the man “resisted arrest.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Airstrikes Kill at Least 100 Syrian Civilians in Raqqa in 48 Hours - August 22nd, 2017
- Palestinian Authority Threatens to Cut All Gaza Funds - August 21st, 2017
- Report: ISIS Attacks Grew in 2016, Despite Shrinking Territory - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Promises to 'Deal With Pakistan' on Afghan War - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Declares Open-Ended War in Afghanistan - August 21st, 2017