The funeral for slain Palestinian teenager Mohammed Abu Khudair was the latest flashpoint in occupied East Jerusalem, as Palestinian demonstrators took to the streets, with many calling for a new intifada against Israel.
Khudair was kidnapped and killed earlier this week on his way home from morning prayers. Israel has yet to arrest anyone, but says they believe the killers were “nationalistically motivated.”
Israeli police, as usual, made matters dramatically worse by restricting access to the al-Aqsa Mosque, one of the holiest places in Islam, a particularly big deal on the first Friday of Ramadan.
Inevitably, protesters clashed with police, with one particularly disturbing video showing Israeli Border Police beating a handcuffed detainee unconscious and dragging his body away. Israel defended the beating, saying the man “resisted arrest.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudis Demolish Historic Shi'ite Neighborhood, Sparking Unrest - June 27th, 2017
- Turkey, Kurdish Forces Trade Fire in North Syria's Afrin District - June 27th, 2017
- Mattis: US Will Keep Arming Syrian Kurds After Raqqa Falls - June 27th, 2017
- Russia: US Warning to Syria Is Unacceptable - June 27th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Insists Qatar Demands Are 'Non-Negotiable' - June 27th, 2017