Speaking today at a press conference ahead of a national security council meeting, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko announced that he intends to propose a ceasefire with the eastern separatist factions.
Poroshenko said the ceasefire would officially be offered later this week, and would only come after the military has seized the Russian border back from the rebels.
Poroshenko argued that it would be “irresponsible” to make a ceasefire while the border remains open, and said that while he was open to “amnesty” for protesters it wouldn’t include those involved in violence in the east.
So far there is no response from the separatists on the prospect of a ceasefire, but they seem unlikely to willingly give up without some concessions made ahead of time.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalans Rally at Barcelona Parliament, Push for Independence - October 21st, 2017
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017