A report circulating through most major Nigerian newspapers says that ten Nigerian generals and five other senior officials in the Nigerian military have been found guilty of arming Boko Haram in a secret court-martial.
Nigeria’s military insists the reports are false, and part of a “plot” by persons unknown to harm Nigeria’s international standing.by portraying the military in a negative light.
The reports said that the generals were not only sending arms to the militants, but had also sent them information to help them ambush army convoys, and allowed rank-and-file soldiers to leave to go fight alongside Boko Haram and then return to barracks.
Leadership newspaper, which broke the story, quoted several unnamed military officers, who say they were told to keep the matter secret. President Goodluck Jonathan has previously said he believes some members of the military leadership and cabinet ministers are Boko Haram sympathizers.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu Tells UN Chief That Golan Is Forever Israel's - February 16th, 2018
- Netanyahu Blocks West Bank Annexation, But Backs Taking More Control - February 16th, 2018
- Pentagon Watchdog: No Significant Progress Made in Afghanistan - February 16th, 2018
- Turkish Army Accused of Hitting Syria's Afrin With Gas Attack - February 16th, 2018
- US, Turkey Agree to Avoid Clash Over Manbij - February 16th, 2018