A report circulating through most major Nigerian newspapers says that ten Nigerian generals and five other senior officials in the Nigerian military have been found guilty of arming Boko Haram in a secret court-martial.
Nigeria’s military insists the reports are false, and part of a “plot” by persons unknown to harm Nigeria’s international standing.by portraying the military in a negative light.
The reports said that the generals were not only sending arms to the militants, but had also sent them information to help them ambush army convoys, and allowed rank-and-file soldiers to leave to go fight alongside Boko Haram and then return to barracks.
Leadership newspaper, which broke the story, quoted several unnamed military officers, who say they were told to keep the matter secret. President Goodluck Jonathan has previously said he believes some members of the military leadership and cabinet ministers are Boko Haram sympathizers.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition Offers Plan to 'Protect' Hodeidah as Civilians Flee - June 22nd, 2018
- Taliban Kill Four, Kidnap Scores in Southern Afghanistan Raid - June 22nd, 2018
- US, Afghan Forces Killed Over 160 ISIS in Three-Week Offensive - June 22nd, 2018
- North and South Korea Agree to New Round of Family Reunions - June 22nd, 2018
- Hamas Negotiating 'Comprehensive Deal' for Truce With Israel - June 22nd, 2018