A report circulating through most major Nigerian newspapers says that ten Nigerian generals and five other senior officials in the Nigerian military have been found guilty of arming Boko Haram in a secret court-martial.
Nigeria’s military insists the reports are false, and part of a “plot” by persons unknown to harm Nigeria’s international standing.by portraying the military in a negative light.
The reports said that the generals were not only sending arms to the militants, but had also sent them information to help them ambush army convoys, and allowed rank-and-file soldiers to leave to go fight alongside Boko Haram and then return to barracks.
Leadership newspaper, which broke the story, quoted several unnamed military officers, who say they were told to keep the matter secret. President Goodluck Jonathan has previously said he believes some members of the military leadership and cabinet ministers are Boko Haram sympathizers.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition to Open Humanitarian Corridors Out of Yemen's Hodeidah Port - September 24th, 2018
- Trump Expects Announcement of Second Summit With North Korea 'Pretty Soon' - September 24th, 2018
- US Troops Will Remain in Syria, Officials Say - September 24th, 2018
- Bolton Slams Russia, Says S-300 Sale in Syria Is 'Significant Escalation' - September 24th, 2018
- Russia Will Provide S-300 Air Defense to Syria - September 24th, 2018