Overnight, Ukrainian troops backed by helicopter gunships attacked the village of Semenovka, and continued on to invade the major secessionist city of Slovyansk, in the eastern Donetsk Oblast.
This is the largest of several military attacks on Slovyansk, and met with heavy resistance from rebel fighters within, and significant fighting was reported throughout the day, continuing into this evening with no signs of letting up.
Some Ukrainian officials were reporting “gains” of an unspecific nature, and claimed over 300 casualties on the rebel side alone. At least 2 Ukrainian troops were confirmed killed over 40 others wounded.
In the northwestern corner of Donetsk Oblast, Slovyansk and its neighboring city of Kramatorsk have been the primary focus of military operations against the eastern regions. The cities lie along the highway between Kharkiv, a major northern city, and Donetsk and Luhansk.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Buildup in Rival Syrian Rebel Factions Threatens Spread of Fighting - July 20th, 2017
- Syrian Rebels Condemn CIA Aid Cut - July 20th, 2017
- Qatar Blockade Cuts Into Saudi-Yemen Alliance - July 20th, 2017
- Doubts About Success of North Korea 'ICBM' Undercut US Sanctions Push - July 20th, 2017
- Ambush Near Damascus Kills 28 Syrian Troops - July 20th, 2017