Overnight, Ukrainian troops backed by helicopter gunships attacked the village of Semenovka, and continued on to invade the major secessionist city of Slovyansk, in the eastern Donetsk Oblast.
This is the largest of several military attacks on Slovyansk, and met with heavy resistance from rebel fighters within, and significant fighting was reported throughout the day, continuing into this evening with no signs of letting up.
Some Ukrainian officials were reporting “gains” of an unspecific nature, and claimed over 300 casualties on the rebel side alone. At least 2 Ukrainian troops were confirmed killed over 40 others wounded.
In the northwestern corner of Donetsk Oblast, Slovyansk and its neighboring city of Kramatorsk have been the primary focus of military operations against the eastern regions. The cities lie along the highway between Kharkiv, a major northern city, and Donetsk and Luhansk.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Seeks to Negotiate a Broad Treaty With Iran - September 19th, 2018
- Despite Pledge Not to, Germany Approves Sale of Arms to Saudi Arabia - September 19th, 2018
- State Dept: ISIS, al-Qaeda Adapting After Recent Losses - September 19th, 2018
- Thousands Return Home in Northwest Syria After Deal Prevents Offensive - September 19th, 2018
- North, South Korea to Form Joint Military Committee - September 19th, 2018