Overnight, Ukrainian troops backed by helicopter gunships attacked the village of Semenovka, and continued on to invade the major secessionist city of Slovyansk, in the eastern Donetsk Oblast.
This is the largest of several military attacks on Slovyansk, and met with heavy resistance from rebel fighters within, and significant fighting was reported throughout the day, continuing into this evening with no signs of letting up.
Some Ukrainian officials were reporting “gains” of an unspecific nature, and claimed over 300 casualties on the rebel side alone. At least 2 Ukrainian troops were confirmed killed over 40 others wounded.
In the northwestern corner of Donetsk Oblast, Slovyansk and its neighboring city of Kramatorsk have been the primary focus of military operations against the eastern regions. The cities lie along the highway between Kharkiv, a major northern city, and Donetsk and Luhansk.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinians Slam Planned US Embassy Move to Jerusalem - February 23rd, 2018
- White House Orders Military Parade for Veterans Day - February 23rd, 2018
- Turkish Army Attacks Afrin Convoy, Kurds Say It Was Full of Aid - February 23rd, 2018
- Nigeria Sends More Troops to Look for Missing Girls - February 23rd, 2018
- Trump Vows 'Largest Ever' North Korea Sanctions, Threatens Ominous 'Phase Two' - February 23rd, 2018