Overnight, Ukrainian troops backed by helicopter gunships attacked the village of Semenovka, and continued on to invade the major secessionist city of Slovyansk, in the eastern Donetsk Oblast.
This is the largest of several military attacks on Slovyansk, and met with heavy resistance from rebel fighters within, and significant fighting was reported throughout the day, continuing into this evening with no signs of letting up.
Some Ukrainian officials were reporting “gains” of an unspecific nature, and claimed over 300 casualties on the rebel side alone. At least 2 Ukrainian troops were confirmed killed over 40 others wounded.
In the northwestern corner of Donetsk Oblast, Slovyansk and its neighboring city of Kramatorsk have been the primary focus of military operations against the eastern regions. The cities lie along the highway between Kharkiv, a major northern city, and Donetsk and Luhansk.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Energy Minister Confirms Covert Ties With Saudi Govt - November 20th, 2017
- US Sanctions European Companies Over Iran 'Counterfeiting Scheme' - November 20th, 2017
- US Airstrikes Target Taliban Opium Labs - November 20th, 2017
- Trump to Declare North Korea a State Sponsor of Terrorism - November 20th, 2017
- Iraqi Kurds Ask US to Appoint Special Envoy to Mediate Dispute - November 20th, 2017