Overnight, Ukrainian troops backed by helicopter gunships attacked the village of Semenovka, and continued on to invade the major secessionist city of Slovyansk, in the eastern Donetsk Oblast.
This is the largest of several military attacks on Slovyansk, and met with heavy resistance from rebel fighters within, and significant fighting was reported throughout the day, continuing into this evening with no signs of letting up.
Some Ukrainian officials were reporting “gains” of an unspecific nature, and claimed over 300 casualties on the rebel side alone. At least 2 Ukrainian troops were confirmed killed over 40 others wounded.
In the northwestern corner of Donetsk Oblast, Slovyansk and its neighboring city of Kramatorsk have been the primary focus of military operations against the eastern regions. The cities lie along the highway between Kharkiv, a major northern city, and Donetsk and Luhansk.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria Informs US Leaders on Future Air Wars - September 19th, 2017
- Western Nations Clash at UN Over Iran Nuclear Deal - September 19th, 2017
- US May Try to Shoot Down Future North Korean Missile - September 19th, 2017
- Catalonia Mayors Exercise Right to Remain Silent in Referendum Interrogation - September 19th, 2017
- US Bombing Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria at Record Pace - September 19th, 2017