Ukraine’s military has resumed its invasion of the eastern protest city of Slovyansk today, after spending most of the weekend destroying checkpoints on the outskirts.
Locals reported nearly constant gunfire throughout the day, and at least 12 people killed overall, with four of the slain confirmed to be troops with Ukraine’s Interior Ministry. and 30 wounded. At least one of the slain was also a civilian with no connection to the protest movement.
The fighting also saw another helicopter shot down, the fourth military helicopter lost since Friday in the city, Two of the BMP Armored Personnel Carriers seized by protesters were also reportedly being chased by the troops, though it is unclear if they reclaimed them.
The Interior Ministry complained its offensive was being slowed by orders not to fire on civilians, but insisted that their policy would not change for the time being.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Airstrike in Northern Syria Kills 20 Civilians, Mostly Children - March 21st, 2018
- Britain, Russia Continue to Trade Accusations Over Salisbury Poisoning - March 21st, 2018
- US, North Korea, and South Korea Hold Constructive Talks in Finland - March 21st, 2018
- Israel Publicly Admits 2007 Attack on Syria 'Nuclear Reactor' - March 21st, 2018
- Trump Pushes Europe on Iran Deal, But May Kill Deal Either Way - March 21st, 2018