Warplanes Hit Crowded Marketplace
At least 30 people were killed and scores of others wounded today when Syrian warplanes launched an air strike against the northern town of Atareb, just outside of Aleppo.
The rebel-held town was targeted early in the day, and the strike hit a crowded vegetable market, killing a lot of innocent bystanders. Rebels say the toll may rise further, as many of the wounded are not expected to survive.
Atareb, like many other cities in Aleppo, has paid a heavy price in the civil war, and has traded hands multiple times over the past few years between the military, al-Qaeda, and other rebel factions.
It is unclear exactly what the intended target was in today’s attack, but it does not appear any significant rebel targets were hit.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- At Least 30 Killed as Missiles Hit East Ukraine Port City - January 24th, 2015
- US Terror Operations in Yemen 'Paralyzed' by Rebel Takeover - January 23rd, 2015
- US Officials on Netanyahu Visit: There Will Be a Price - January 23rd, 2015
- Pentagon Advocates Drone 'Wolf Packs': A Step Toward Killer AI? - January 23rd, 2015
- Iran FM: US Sanctions Vote Would Kill Nuclear Deal - January 23rd, 2015