Former NATO general secretary Lord Robertson has warned it is vital for NATO to prevent Scotland’s secession from the United Kingdom, saying it would be “cataclysmic” for the entire planet, and ruinous for the alliance.
Lord Robertson, who was a Defence Secretary during Tony Blair’s government, went on to claim Scottish secession would be cheered loudly by the enemies of Britain, and would amount to a dramatic victory for the “forces of darkness.”
He also warned Scotland would not be allowed to join NATO as an independent nation because of its opposition to nuclear weapons, saying NATO would never accept an anti-nuke member.
That position seems unlikely, since Germany is a member in NATO and has similarly been fighting tooth and nail to get the US to remove nuclear weapons from their territory. The anti-nuke stance is growing among European members, and Scotland would just be one more of them.
On the other hand it isn’t clear what NATO membership would get Scotland, since their only border is with England, who they are seceding from. Its only other close neighbor, Ireland, is actually a good example of why Scotland doesn’t need NATO, an independent power which has avoided getting sucked into most major modern wars.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Airstrike Destroys Yemen Hotel, Kills at Least 60 - August 23rd, 2017
- Latest US Navy Collision Fuels Speculation About 'Hacking' - August 22nd, 2017
- US, North Korea Clash at UN Forum Over Nuclear Arms - August 22nd, 2017
- NATO Chief Declares Alliance 'Fully Committed' to US War in Afghanistan - August 22nd, 2017
- Haley Demands IAEA Launch New Inspections of Iran Military Sites - August 22nd, 2017