Former NATO general secretary Lord Robertson has warned it is vital for NATO to prevent Scotland’s secession from the United Kingdom, saying it would be “cataclysmic” for the entire planet, and ruinous for the alliance.
Lord Robertson, who was a Defence Secretary during Tony Blair’s government, went on to claim Scottish secession would be cheered loudly by the enemies of Britain, and would amount to a dramatic victory for the “forces of darkness.”
He also warned Scotland would not be allowed to join NATO as an independent nation because of its opposition to nuclear weapons, saying NATO would never accept an anti-nuke member.
That position seems unlikely, since Germany is a member in NATO and has similarly been fighting tooth and nail to get the US to remove nuclear weapons from their territory. The anti-nuke stance is growing among European members, and Scotland would just be one more of them.
On the other hand it isn’t clear what NATO membership would get Scotland, since their only border is with England, who they are seceding from. Its only other close neighbor, Ireland, is actually a good example of why Scotland doesn’t need NATO, an independent power which has avoided getting sucked into most major modern wars.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russia Will Provide S-300s to Syria to Defend Entire Airspace - September 25th, 2018
- Pompeo Slams EU Plan to Circumvent US Sanctions on Iran - September 25th, 2018
- US General: Removing Troops From Korea a Major Tactical Risk - September 25th, 2018
- South Korean President: Kim Is Serious About Giving Up Nuclear Bombs - September 25th, 2018
- US Adjusting Tactics as Afghanistan Casualties Rise - September 25th, 2018