Congressional Republicans, eager to seem more hawkish on the Ukraine-Russia spat than the administration but realizing how unpopular starting World War 3 might well be, are pushing to step up shipments of “small arms” to Ukraine.
Rep. Mike Rogers (R – MI) said the shipments were vital for Ukraine to “defend themselves,” and called for the inclusion of unspecified “defensive posture weapons systems.”
Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R – NH) similarly said the US should immediately start sending small arms to Ukraine and step up economic sanctions against Russia, saying it was a chance to “punch them in the nose.”
Sen. Dick Durbin (D – IL) said he didn’t think sending arms to Ukraine should be ruled out, and that it was vital to “help Ukraine’s army get on its feet” after the recent violent regime change that ousted a pro-Russia government.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- General Seeks Permission to Declassify Sites of 'Dud' US Strikes in Mosul - August 17th, 2017
- Tillerson: US to Honor Japan Defense Pact, Including Contested Island Claims - August 17th, 2017
- South Korea's President Moon Rules Out War on Korean Peninsula - August 17th, 2017
- Assange Meets Rep. Rohrabacher, Vows to Prove Leaks Didn't Come From Russia - August 17th, 2017
- UN Report: Saudis Killed 502 Children in Yemen in Past Year - August 17th, 2017