Congressional Republicans, eager to seem more hawkish on the Ukraine-Russia spat than the administration but realizing how unpopular starting World War 3 might well be, are pushing to step up shipments of “small arms” to Ukraine.
Rep. Mike Rogers (R – MI) said the shipments were vital for Ukraine to “defend themselves,” and called for the inclusion of unspecified “defensive posture weapons systems.”
Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R – NH) similarly said the US should immediately start sending small arms to Ukraine and step up economic sanctions against Russia, saying it was a chance to “punch them in the nose.”
Sen. Dick Durbin (D – IL) said he didn’t think sending arms to Ukraine should be ruled out, and that it was vital to “help Ukraine’s army get on its feet” after the recent violent regime change that ousted a pro-Russia government.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cluster Bomb Attack Against East Syrian Village Kills at Least 30 Civilians - June 28th, 2017
- Russia: Trump and Putin Probably Should Talk During Hamburg Summit - June 28th, 2017
- US Special Forces Deployed to Kurdish City on Turkish Border - June 28th, 2017
- ISIS Looks to Expand Presence in Northern Afghanistan - June 28th, 2017
- South Korea Leader Reverses Stance, Now Backs Trump Against North Korea - June 28th, 2017