Congressional Republicans, eager to seem more hawkish on the Ukraine-Russia spat than the administration but realizing how unpopular starting World War 3 might well be, are pushing to step up shipments of “small arms” to Ukraine.
Rep. Mike Rogers (R – MI) said the shipments were vital for Ukraine to “defend themselves,” and called for the inclusion of unspecified “defensive posture weapons systems.”
Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R – NH) similarly said the US should immediately start sending small arms to Ukraine and step up economic sanctions against Russia, saying it was a chance to “punch them in the nose.”
Sen. Dick Durbin (D – IL) said he didn’t think sending arms to Ukraine should be ruled out, and that it was vital to “help Ukraine’s army get on its feet” after the recent violent regime change that ousted a pro-Russia government.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalan Leader Seeks to Vote by Proxy to Avoid Arrest by Spain - January 18th, 2018
- Israeli Army Considers Seizing Palestinian Neighborhoods in Jerusalem - January 18th, 2018
- US Urges Turkey to Focus on ISIS, Not Attack Syrian Kurds - January 18th, 2018
- US to Withhold $45 Million in Pledged Palestinian Food Aid 'For Now' - January 18th, 2018
- Syria Threatens to Destroy Any Invading Turkish Warplanes - January 18th, 2018