Congressional Republicans, eager to seem more hawkish on the Ukraine-Russia spat than the administration but realizing how unpopular starting World War 3 might well be, are pushing to step up shipments of “small arms” to Ukraine.
Rep. Mike Rogers (R – MI) said the shipments were vital for Ukraine to “defend themselves,” and called for the inclusion of unspecified “defensive posture weapons systems.”
Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R – NH) similarly said the US should immediately start sending small arms to Ukraine and step up economic sanctions against Russia, saying it was a chance to “punch them in the nose.”
Sen. Dick Durbin (D – IL) said he didn’t think sending arms to Ukraine should be ruled out, and that it was vital to “help Ukraine’s army get on its feet” after the recent violent regime change that ousted a pro-Russia government.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraqi Troops Build Up Near Key Kurdish Oil Export Pipeline - October 23rd, 2017
- Iraq Rejects Tillerson Call to Disband/Expel Shi'ite Militias - October 23rd, 2017
- US Airstrike Kills 14 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 23rd, 2017
- ISIS Executed 116 Locals Before Christian Town Fell to Syrian Forces - October 23rd, 2017
- Foreign ISIS Fighters Left in Raqqa Face 'Certain Death' - October 22nd, 2017