Ukraine’s lingering military presence in Crimea continues to wane, but with the chain of command in their military strained by regime change and sackings, some troops are still waiting for orders to leave.
Ukrainian marines at the Feodosia base are still waiting, even though Russian troops took the base over earlier this month. The marines hold the base’s armory, and barracks, and haven’t been seriously contested by the Russians.
They reported some attempts to convince them to defect and “provocations,” but the marines have held their portion of the base, and continue to fly the Ukrainian flag, which is now alongside a Russian flag put up by the Russian soldiers.
They’re waiting for an “honorable retreat,” either orders from whoever it turns out is their commander in Kiev, or for the Russians to just take over and force them out. Ukraine’s interim Defense Minister says the troops will eventually be relocated to Ukraine, but “no official decision” was made yet.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- House Spending Bill Threatens to Suspend Nuclear Treaty With Russia - June 26th, 2017
- Bahrain Accuses Qatar of Seeking 'Military Escalation' - June 26th, 2017
- White House Appears to Be Planning Attack on Assad - June 26th, 2017
- Top Senator Blocks Gulf Arms Sales Over Qatar Crisis - June 26th, 2017
- UAE's Military Buildup Faces New Scrutiny Amid Yemen Torture Scandal - June 26th, 2017