Ukraine’s lingering military presence in Crimea continues to wane, but with the chain of command in their military strained by regime change and sackings, some troops are still waiting for orders to leave.
Ukrainian marines at the Feodosia base are still waiting, even though Russian troops took the base over earlier this month. The marines hold the base’s armory, and barracks, and haven’t been seriously contested by the Russians.
They reported some attempts to convince them to defect and “provocations,” but the marines have held their portion of the base, and continue to fly the Ukrainian flag, which is now alongside a Russian flag put up by the Russian soldiers.
They’re waiting for an “honorable retreat,” either orders from whoever it turns out is their commander in Kiev, or for the Russians to just take over and force them out. Ukraine’s interim Defense Minister says the troops will eventually be relocated to Ukraine, but “no official decision” was made yet.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russia Will Provide S-300s to Syria to Defend Entire Airspace - September 25th, 2018
- Pompeo Slams EU Plan to Circumvent US Sanctions on Iran - September 25th, 2018
- US General: Removing Troops From Korea a Major Tactical Risk - September 25th, 2018
- South Korean President: Kim Is Serious About Giving Up Nuclear Bombs - September 25th, 2018
- US Adjusting Tactics as Afghanistan Casualties Rise - September 25th, 2018