Ukraine’s lingering military presence in Crimea continues to wane, but with the chain of command in their military strained by regime change and sackings, some troops are still waiting for orders to leave.
Ukrainian marines at the Feodosia base are still waiting, even though Russian troops took the base over earlier this month. The marines hold the base’s armory, and barracks, and haven’t been seriously contested by the Russians.
They reported some attempts to convince them to defect and “provocations,” but the marines have held their portion of the base, and continue to fly the Ukrainian flag, which is now alongside a Russian flag put up by the Russian soldiers.
They’re waiting for an “honorable retreat,” either orders from whoever it turns out is their commander in Kiev, or for the Russians to just take over and force them out. Ukraine’s interim Defense Minister says the troops will eventually be relocated to Ukraine, but “no official decision” was made yet.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Ambush the Result of 'Massive Intelligence Failure' - October 20th, 2017