After a solid week of US officials berating them, Russian officials came to the table with Ukraine’s interim government, offering a proposal of “mediation.”
The proposal included calls for dramatic revisions to the Ukrainian constitution, something US officials had also endorsed yesterday. Despite this, Ukrainian officials reacted with outrage, and condemned the proposal as “unacceptable.”
The Russian proposal sought the constitutional revision to grant broad levels of autonomy to individual provinces within the country, and also to cement the nation as permanently neutral militarily.
Ukrainian officials are more interested in railing at the Crimean referendum yesterday, though that seems to be a done deal, with an overwhelming majority backing accession into the Russian Federation and Russia formally recognizing their independence.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Airstrike in Northern Syria Kills 20 Civilians, Mostly Children - March 21st, 2018
- Britain, Russia Continue to Trade Accusations Over Salisbury Poisoning - March 21st, 2018
- US, North Korea, and South Korea Hold Constructive Talks in Finland - March 21st, 2018
- Israel Publicly Admits 2007 Attack on Syria 'Nuclear Reactor' - March 21st, 2018
- Trump Pushes Europe on Iran Deal, But May Kill Deal Either Way - March 21st, 2018