After a solid week of US officials berating them, Russian officials came to the table with Ukraine’s interim government, offering a proposal of “mediation.”
The proposal included calls for dramatic revisions to the Ukrainian constitution, something US officials had also endorsed yesterday. Despite this, Ukrainian officials reacted with outrage, and condemned the proposal as “unacceptable.”
The Russian proposal sought the constitutional revision to grant broad levels of autonomy to individual provinces within the country, and also to cement the nation as permanently neutral militarily.
Ukrainian officials are more interested in railing at the Crimean referendum yesterday, though that seems to be a done deal, with an overwhelming majority backing accession into the Russian Federation and Russia formally recognizing their independence.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- NATO Warns Russian Missile Might Violate Missile Treaty - December 15th, 2017
- US Allegations of Iran Missiles in Yemen Met With Skepticism - December 15th, 2017
- Mattis: North Korean Missiles Not a 'Capable Threat' Against US - December 15th, 2017
- Israeli Troops Kill Four Palestinians, Wound 160 at Friday Protests - December 15th, 2017
- Trump Allies: Tillerson Hasn't Learned His Lesson - December 15th, 2017