Religious blood-letting in the Central African Republic (CAR) has remained unresolved, and the UN High Commissioner for Refugees reports that Muslims have been all but “cleansed” from the western half of the nation now.
Muslims amount to about 15 percent of CAR’s population, with many of them in the eastern region. The Balaka rebels that briefly controlled the country were from that region, and largely Muslim.
This has led to a violent backlash from Christian “anti-Balaka” militias, which instead of targeting the Balaka have instead just attacked local Muslims wherever they could find them.
According to the UNHCR, tens of thousands of Muslims have fled their homes in western CAR and are refugees in neighboring countries now. They warned that those who remain in CAR are under constant threat of violence from the militias.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Backed Kurds Say Russian Warplanes Attacked Them - September 25th, 2017
- North Korea Says Trump Has Declared War, US Says No - September 25th, 2017
- Palestinian Authority to Convene in Gaza Amid Reconciliation Push - September 25th, 2017
- Spanish Officials Declare Catalonia Referendum 'Discredited' - September 25th, 2017
- Spain's Attorney General: Catalan President May Face Arrest - September 25th, 2017