Religious blood-letting in the Central African Republic (CAR) has remained unresolved, and the UN High Commissioner for Refugees reports that Muslims have been all but “cleansed” from the western half of the nation now.
Muslims amount to about 15 percent of CAR’s population, with many of them in the eastern region. The Balaka rebels that briefly controlled the country were from that region, and largely Muslim.
This has led to a violent backlash from Christian “anti-Balaka” militias, which instead of targeting the Balaka have instead just attacked local Muslims wherever they could find them.
According to the UNHCR, tens of thousands of Muslims have fled their homes in western CAR and are refugees in neighboring countries now. They warned that those who remain in CAR are under constant threat of violence from the militias.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US, Israel Send Secret Delegation to Ukraine to Train Against S-300 - October 17th, 2018
- Koreans Hold Talks With UN on Demilitarizing the Border - October 17th, 2018
- Pentagon Exaggerates ISIS Foreign Fighter Estimates to Justify Staying in Syria - October 17th, 2018
- Afghan Candidate Killed by Bomb Under His Office Chair - October 17th, 2018
- Trump: US Won't 'Walk Away From Saudi Arabia' - October 17th, 2018