Religious blood-letting in the Central African Republic (CAR) has remained unresolved, and the UN High Commissioner for Refugees reports that Muslims have been all but “cleansed” from the western half of the nation now.
Muslims amount to about 15 percent of CAR’s population, with many of them in the eastern region. The Balaka rebels that briefly controlled the country were from that region, and largely Muslim.
This has led to a violent backlash from Christian “anti-Balaka” militias, which instead of targeting the Balaka have instead just attacked local Muslims wherever they could find them.
According to the UNHCR, tens of thousands of Muslims have fled their homes in western CAR and are refugees in neighboring countries now. They warned that those who remain in CAR are under constant threat of violence from the militias.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Fighters Attack Afghan Base, Kill at Least 26 Soldiers - July 26th, 2017
- Taliban Awash in US Arms, Vehicles, Complicate Afghan War - July 25th, 2017
- Blockading States Expand Qatar 'Terror' Blacklist - July 25th, 2017
- US SOCOM Chief Claims 60,000 to 70,000 ISIS Fighters Killed so Far - July 25th, 2017
- Trump Pledges Support for Lebanon's Anti-ISIS Push - July 25th, 2017