Religious blood-letting in the Central African Republic (CAR) has remained unresolved, and the UN High Commissioner for Refugees reports that Muslims have been all but “cleansed” from the western half of the nation now.
Muslims amount to about 15 percent of CAR’s population, with many of them in the eastern region. The Balaka rebels that briefly controlled the country were from that region, and largely Muslim.
This has led to a violent backlash from Christian “anti-Balaka” militias, which instead of targeting the Balaka have instead just attacked local Muslims wherever they could find them.
According to the UNHCR, tens of thousands of Muslims have fled their homes in western CAR and are refugees in neighboring countries now. They warned that those who remain in CAR are under constant threat of violence from the militias.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Military Chief: Ready to Share Iran Intel With Saudis - November 16th, 2017
- Turkey: Raqqa Deal Shows Kurds Aim to Conquer Region, Not Fight ISIS - November 16th, 2017
- UN: Yemen Blockade Must End or Thousands Will Die - November 16th, 2017
- Lebanese PM Accepts France Invite: Will This End Crisis? - November 16th, 2017
- US Pacific Commander: North Korea Diplomacy Requires 'Credible Military Power' - November 16th, 2017