At least 16 people were killed today when a group of Taliban attacked a restaurant in downtown Kabul in a coordinated strike. The restaurant was popular with Westerners and early reports are that 13 of the dead are foreigners.
The attack took place during the dinner rush, when a suicide attacker detonated explosives near the entrance to the restaurant, which is in the heavily fortified diplomatic district. In the chaos from the bombing, two gunmen entered the restaurant and opened fire.
The Taliban confirmed they were behind the attack, and claimed a number of Germans were among the slain, though the German Embassy has said they cannot confirm that so far.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Over 170 Casualties in Afghan Election Attacks - October 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018