At least 16 people were killed today when a group of Taliban attacked a restaurant in downtown Kabul in a coordinated strike. The restaurant was popular with Westerners and early reports are that 13 of the dead are foreigners.
The attack took place during the dinner rush, when a suicide attacker detonated explosives near the entrance to the restaurant, which is in the heavily fortified diplomatic district. In the chaos from the bombing, two gunmen entered the restaurant and opened fire.
The Taliban confirmed they were behind the attack, and claimed a number of Germans were among the slain, though the German Embassy has said they cannot confirm that so far.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Scores of Civilians Killed in Eastern Ghouta Attack - March 23rd, 2018
- Ceasefire Announced for Part of Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 22nd, 2018
- Turkey Will Expel All Kurds From Border Unless Deal Reached With US - March 22nd, 2018
- Pentagon: Nukes Will Be Useless Without New Plutonium Cores - March 22nd, 2018
- State Dept. Announces $1 Billion in New Arms Sales to Saudis - March 22nd, 2018