At least 16 people were killed today when a group of Taliban attacked a restaurant in downtown Kabul in a coordinated strike. The restaurant was popular with Westerners and early reports are that 13 of the dead are foreigners.
The attack took place during the dinner rush, when a suicide attacker detonated explosives near the entrance to the restaurant, which is in the heavily fortified diplomatic district. In the chaos from the bombing, two gunmen entered the restaurant and opened fire.
The Taliban confirmed they were behind the attack, and claimed a number of Germans were among the slain, though the German Embassy has said they cannot confirm that so far.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- General Seeks Permission to Declassify Sites of 'Dud' US Strikes in Mosul - August 17th, 2017
- Tillerson: US to Honor Japan Defense Pact, Including Contested Island Claims - August 17th, 2017
- South Korea's President Moon Rules Out War on Korean Peninsula - August 17th, 2017
- Assange Meets Rep. Rohrabacher, Vows to Prove Leaks Didn't Come From Russia - August 17th, 2017
- UN Report: Saudis Killed 502 Children in Yemen in Past Year - August 17th, 2017