Citing cross-border rocket fire, Israel has launched another round of air strikes against the Gaza Strip today, hitting two targets in Gaza City and Beit Hanoun and wounding two unidentified Palestinians.
It is the second round of Israeli strikes on Gaza this week. The previous attacks killed one Palestinian, a three-year-old girl, and wounded six other civilians. Israeli officials suggested this was only the beginning.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu insisted Israel holds Hamas responsible for all attacks coming out of the Gaza Strip, even though Israeli analysts have repeatedly reiterated their belief that Hamas is trying to avoid escalation and prevent the attacks to the best of their limited abilities. Netanyahu has instead focused on threatening further escalation of attacks on Gaza.
Israeli military officials went a step further, insisting that Hamas was not only to blame for the rockets, but that Hamas was also to blame for any victims of Israeli air strikes on Gaza.
This is the first major round of attacks on Gaza since last November, and many in Israel’s far-right coalition have expressed annoyance that the last round ended with a ceasefire before a major invasion could be launched. This year the indication is Israel won’t be calmed so easily.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018