The Palestinian delegation to the United States has filed an official complaint following Sen. Chuck Schumer’s (D – NY) characterization of Palestinians in and of themselves as a “threat.”
Schumer made the comments at a fundraiser for Orthodox Jewish welfare organization OHEL Children’s Home and Family Services, likening the Palestinians to the “threat” of hypothetical nuclear weapons.
Schumer bragged that every time “the Palestinians have risen against us, we have risen to defeat them,” going on to say that a similar action was needed to stop Iran’s civilian nuclear program, which he termed a similarly “existential threat.”
Schumer’s comments were meant to play up Senate efforts to prevent a diplomatic deal between the P5+1 and Iran, something Israel vehemently opposes. The Palestinians appear to have been an after thought, but the Palestinian delegation clearly didn’t feel that way.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Drone Strikes Kill 31 People in Pakistan Tribal Areas - October 17th, 2017
- Catalonia Won't Renounce Independence, Despite Looming Deadline - October 17th, 2017
- Pentagon May Stop Training Iraqis Amid Kurdish Conflict - October 17th, 2017
- Kurdish Forces Abandon Territory In Face of Iraqi Offensive - October 17th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Declare Victory in Raqqa, But Face Complicated Peace - October 17th, 2017