A US drone attacked a site in the Miramshah Bazaar in North Waziristan today, firing multiple missiles and destroying a car along with part of a nearby building. At least three are confirmed dead, and a number are wounded, with locals saying the overall death toll will likely continue to rise.
As with so many US strikes against Pakistan’s tribal areas, none of the slain have been identified, and while there was a sort of pro-forma declaration of the slain as “suspected militants” there was no indication that any of them actually were militants, let alone any indication of what faction that might be affiliated with.
That’s par for the course for Pakistan, and comes amid a growing scandal surrounding the strikes in Pakistan, and the revelation that previous governments have had secret deals to allow the US to keep attacking with impunity.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018
- Turkey Attacks Hospital in Syria's Afrin, Killing Nine - March 16th, 2018