A US drone attacked a site in the Miramshah Bazaar in North Waziristan today, firing multiple missiles and destroying a car along with part of a nearby building. At least three are confirmed dead, and a number are wounded, with locals saying the overall death toll will likely continue to rise.
As with so many US strikes against Pakistan’s tribal areas, none of the slain have been identified, and while there was a sort of pro-forma declaration of the slain as “suspected militants” there was no indication that any of them actually were militants, let alone any indication of what faction that might be affiliated with.
That’s par for the course for Pakistan, and comes amid a growing scandal surrounding the strikes in Pakistan, and the revelation that previous governments have had secret deals to allow the US to keep attacking with impunity.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018