Elaborating on Tuesday’s UN General Assembly speech in opposition to nuclear weapons, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani called on all nations to relinquish such weapons, and urged Israel in particular to sign the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).
Israel is the only nation within the Middle East with a nuclear arsenal, and also the only nation in the region that hasn’t ratified the NPT. Rouhani endorsed the idea of a nuclear free Middle East, saying that it was time to follow through on decades of talking to that effect and ideally expand it worldwide.
Rouhani’s comments today came in the context of a speech as current head of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM), and the body has repeatedly backed the right to civilian nuclear technology for all nations, including Iran.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraq Rejects Tillerson Call to Disband/Expel Shi'ite Militias - October 23rd, 2017
- US Airstrike Kills 14 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 23rd, 2017
- ISIS Executed 116 Locals Before Christian Town Fell to Syrian Forces - October 23rd, 2017
- Foreign ISIS Fighters Left in Raqqa Face 'Certain Death' - October 22nd, 2017
- US-Made Vehicles Led Iraqi Invasion of Kurdish Town - October 22nd, 2017