Elaborating on Tuesday’s UN General Assembly speech in opposition to nuclear weapons, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani called on all nations to relinquish such weapons, and urged Israel in particular to sign the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).
Israel is the only nation within the Middle East with a nuclear arsenal, and also the only nation in the region that hasn’t ratified the NPT. Rouhani endorsed the idea of a nuclear free Middle East, saying that it was time to follow through on decades of talking to that effect and ideally expand it worldwide.
Rouhani’s comments today came in the context of a speech as current head of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM), and the body has repeatedly backed the right to civilian nuclear technology for all nations, including Iran.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Seeks to Negotiate a Broad Treaty With Iran - September 19th, 2018
- Despite Pledge Not to, Germany Approves Sale of Arms to Saudi Arabia - September 19th, 2018
- State Dept: ISIS, al-Qaeda Adapting After Recent Losses - September 19th, 2018
- Thousands Return Home in Northwest Syria After Deal Prevents Offensive - September 19th, 2018
- North, South Korea to Form Joint Military Committee - September 19th, 2018