All Parties Conference Agrees: Strikes Violate Sovereignty
Per an agreement by Pakistan’s All Parties Conference (APC), the government says that preparations are now underway to take the issue of US drone strikes against their territory to the United Nations, since the US clearly refuses to stop on their own.
Pakistan’s previous government had a secret agreement in place to allow the drone strikes while publicly criticizing them, and as the US has continued the attacks the newly elected government seems determined to make it clear that secret policy is over.
Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif ran on campaign promises of stopping the attacks, and so far it doesn’t appear to have changed anything, though US officials have given lip-service to the idea the strikes are going to eventually end.
The APC agreed, as have most political parties and the Pakistani court system, that US strikes are a violation of the nation’s sovereignty, as well as international law. The US argues that the attacks are legal under their mostly secret interpretation of those laws.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Turkmen Rebels Killed One Russian Pilot, Russians Rescued the Other - November 25th, 2015
- US Troops Suspended Over Attacking Afghan Hospital - November 25th, 2015
- Syria Insurgents Destroy Russian Rescue Helicopter With US Missile - November 24th, 2015
- Russia Deploys Air Defenses to Syria-Turkey Border - November 24th, 2015
- NATO Envoys Urge Turkey to Show Restraint on Russian Planes - November 24th, 2015