AQAP Leader Promised Attack to 'Change History'
More information has emerged on the phone call that sparked a US panic that led to global travel warnings and dozens of embassy closures, with Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi providing the most specific disclosures yet.
Hadi says that US officials told him the conversation took place on July 29, and involved comments by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) leader Nasser al-Wuhayshi, in which he promised an attack “that would change the face of history.”
US officials had previously indicated that the conversation also involved “code words” that convinced them an attack was imminent, though nothing in the conversation gave any idea of where.
“I told the Americans this would be in Yemen,” Hadi insisted. His government later insisted the plot involved seizing towns along the cost, and Hadi says that two cars had seven tons of explosives between them with an eye toward blowing up an oil terminal.
In addition to closing the embassies, the US launched 12 drone strikes, killing 49 people. Last week officials conceded that the strikes did nothing to prevent the threat.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Plans to Escalate Syrian Airstrikes to 'Hem In Russia' - October 4th, 2015
- War Crimes Probe Urged After US Kills 22 Civilians in Airstrike on Kunduz Hospital - October 4th, 2015
- Over 100 Palestinians Wounded in Israeli Crackdown - October 4th, 2015
- Iraqi Kurd President Welcomes Russian Airstrikes, Urges US Coordination - October 4th, 2015
- Netanyahu: Nuclear Deal Fight Over, Crack Down on 'Subversive' Iran - October 4th, 2015