This is business as usual for Afghanistan, where every day seems to hold more bloody attacks, and the Afghan government, along with NATO occupation forces, continue to trumpet “progress” that doesn’t seem to mean anything on the ground.
Today, the Afghan military is trumpeting “ongoing operations” in Logar and Nangarhar, claiming that they have killed 83 militants in that fighting, while only loosing three of their own fighters.
The Afghan Defense Ministry’s kill counts are almost always disputed by local fighters within a day or two, but the accuracy of the gaudy tolls are really beside the point since similar offensives have been ongoing for over a decade and haven’t amounted to any meaningful changes on the ground.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018