No Injuries Reported in Brief Golan Clash
Rebel fighters from an unidentified faction have crossed the “disengagement line” between Syria and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, capturing an unmanned army post and sparking a clash with Israeli patrols nearby.
The rebels are speculated to have taken the post to provoke Syrian troops to return fire against them across the ceasefire line, sparking an Israeli retaliation. The rebels fled the base before the Israeli troops arrived.
The clash appears to have been uneventful, with a confirmation of no injuries on the Israeli side and no reports of any on the Syrian side either. Settlers on the Israeli side reported hearing multiple explosions throughout the day, though no specific safety instructions were issued to them.
The Golan frontier has been relatively calm recently, though Israel has been increasing its deployments along the line in recent weeks. Most fighting in Syria has focused on Homs and Aleppo these days, though rebel factions remain active in Golan as well.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russian Parliament calls for Inquiry Into US Media Outlets - March 19th, 2017
- Trump Expands Special Forces Deployments Around Africa, Mideast - March 19th, 2017
- China Urges US to Remain 'Coolheaded' on North Korea - March 19th, 2017
- Three US Troops Wounded After Afghan Soldier Opens Fire - March 19th, 2017
- Israeli Cabinet Protests as Netanyahu Threatens Snap Elections - March 19th, 2017