No Injuries Reported in Brief Golan Clash
Rebel fighters from an unidentified faction have crossed the “disengagement line” between Syria and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, capturing an unmanned army post and sparking a clash with Israeli patrols nearby.
The rebels are speculated to have taken the post to provoke Syrian troops to return fire against them across the ceasefire line, sparking an Israeli retaliation. The rebels fled the base before the Israeli troops arrived.
The clash appears to have been uneventful, with a confirmation of no injuries on the Israeli side and no reports of any on the Syrian side either. Settlers on the Israeli side reported hearing multiple explosions throughout the day, though no specific safety instructions were issued to them.
The Golan frontier has been relatively calm recently, though Israel has been increasing its deployments along the line in recent weeks. Most fighting in Syria has focused on Homs and Aleppo these days, though rebel factions remain active in Golan as well.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Brexit Split Sparks Leadership Battles in Top British Parties - June 26th, 2016
- Scottish Parliament, Others Could Put Brakes on Brexit - June 26th, 2016
- Polls Show Scotland Strongly Backs Secession From UK Over Brexit - June 26th, 2016
- Israel, Turkey Reach Reconciliation Deal - June 26th, 2016
- State Dept's Propaganda Center Growing Rapidly, But Accomplishing Little - June 26th, 2016