No Injuries Reported in Brief Golan Clash
Rebel fighters from an unidentified faction have crossed the “disengagement line” between Syria and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, capturing an unmanned army post and sparking a clash with Israeli patrols nearby.
The rebels are speculated to have taken the post to provoke Syrian troops to return fire against them across the ceasefire line, sparking an Israeli retaliation. The rebels fled the base before the Israeli troops arrived.
The clash appears to have been uneventful, with a confirmation of no injuries on the Israeli side and no reports of any on the Syrian side either. Settlers on the Israeli side reported hearing multiple explosions throughout the day, though no specific safety instructions were issued to them.
The Golan frontier has been relatively calm recently, though Israel has been increasing its deployments along the line in recent weeks. Most fighting in Syria has focused on Homs and Aleppo these days, though rebel factions remain active in Golan as well.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Kills Four in Northeast Yemen Drone Strike - March 11th, 2014
- Crimea Declares Independence, But Referendum Will Change That - March 11th, 2014
- Kerry: No Putin Talks Unless Russia Gives In on Ukraine - March 11th, 2014
- Netanyahu: Chance of Peace Fading, Palestinians to Blame - March 11th, 2014
- Netanyahu 'Regrets' Israeli Killing of Jordan Judge - March 11th, 2014