As Strikes Target Border Area Rebels, Stray Missiles Cross into Jordan
Jordanian officials have confirmed that several Syrian missiles have crossed the border and landed near the village of Thneibat, setting some farmland on fire but otherwise causing no casualties.
The cross-border hits appear to have been incidental to a campaign of air strikes against rebel-held territory along the Syrian side of the border, but also follow warnings earlier this week from Syria about Jordan’s support for the rebels.
Jordan’s support for the rebels has been escalating dramatically in recent weeks, with more US trainers showing up and the announcement that Jordan will lead the arming of the rebels.
It also comes in the context of rumors that the US was going to deploy Patriot Missiles to Jordan, something the US has so far denied but which, with the US adding troops to the nation could be a next step.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Attacks Third UN School in Gaza, Dozens Killed - July 29th, 2014
- Israel Broadens Targets in Gaza War: 1,300 Killed - July 29th, 2014
- Senators Say NSA Bill Falls Short on 'Reform' - July 29th, 2014
- ISIS Executes Hundreds in Tikrit Massacre - July 29th, 2014
- ISIS Video Shows Tikrit Executions, Warns Iraqi Soldiers Face the Same - July 29th, 2014