Mariela Castro Was to Receive Award in Philadelphia
The US State Department has announced that it will not let Mariela Castro, the daughter of Cuban President Raul Castro, visit the United States to attend a conference in Philadelphia next week. Officials declined to provide a reason, saying the matter is “confidential.”
Castro was to receive an award at the Equality Forum conference in recognition of her gay rights activism, but will not be allowed to travel to Philadelphia to attend the conference.
Interestingly enough Castro, a deputy parliamentarian in Cuba, is already in the United States, as she is in New York City as part of the Cuban mission to the United Nations, and has been attending UN meetings.
Castro’s primary job is Director of the Cuban National Center for Sex Education, which campaigns for AIDS prevention in Cuba and the acceptance of gay rights.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Latest Slain American ISIS the Third From Single Minnesota High School - August 28th, 2014
- Backdoor Coup? Pakistani Military Moves to 'Resolve' Protests - August 28th, 2014
- ISIS Claims 250 Syrian Soldiers Executed in Takeover of Raqqa Air Base - August 28th, 2014
- Inspired by CIA, ISIS Turns to Waterboarding Detainees - August 28th, 2014
- Obama Declines to Declare Invasion of Ukraine - August 28th, 2014