Israeli Attorney General Yehuda Weinstein has backed a controversial decision by the Education Ministry to defend a West Bank religious school, the Od Yosef Chai Shechem Yeshiva, citing the large number of violent attacks coming out of the school.
Students from the yeshiva, which has received substantial funds from US groups, have been implicated in attacks on nearby Palestinian towns, including several “price tag” attacks and the burning of a mosque.
Even more troubling, Weinstein noted that the rabbis who teach at the school have refused to provide information about students involved in the attacks, and on occasion have spoken in support of the “price tag” movement.
The government has repeatedly attempted to defund the yeshiva, but has faced several appeals. This time, they ruled that continued funding what not just against Israel’s values, but a direct danger to public safety.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Airstrike Destroys Yemen Hotel, Kills at Least 60 - August 23rd, 2017
- Latest US Navy Collision Fuels Speculation About 'Hacking' - August 22nd, 2017
- US, North Korea Clash at UN Forum Over Nuclear Arms - August 22nd, 2017
- NATO Chief Declares Alliance 'Fully Committed' to US War in Afghanistan - August 22nd, 2017
- Haley Demands IAEA Launch New Inspections of Iran Military Sites - August 22nd, 2017