Israeli Attorney General Yehuda Weinstein has backed a controversial decision by the Education Ministry to defend a West Bank religious school, the Od Yosef Chai Shechem Yeshiva, citing the large number of violent attacks coming out of the school.
Students from the yeshiva, which has received substantial funds from US groups, have been implicated in attacks on nearby Palestinian towns, including several “price tag” attacks and the burning of a mosque.
Even more troubling, Weinstein noted that the rabbis who teach at the school have refused to provide information about students involved in the attacks, and on occasion have spoken in support of the “price tag” movement.
The government has repeatedly attempted to defund the yeshiva, but has faced several appeals. This time, they ruled that continued funding what not just against Israel’s values, but a direct danger to public safety.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Exodus From Eastern Ghouta as Syrian Army Appears to Near Victory - March 18th, 2018
- Pentagon Defends Keeping Niger Attacks Secret - March 18th, 2018
- Trump Administration Scrambles to Convince Congress Not to Halt Yemen War - March 18th, 2018
- Sen. Corker Predicts Trump Will Withdraw From Iran Deal in May - March 18th, 2018
- May Says Britain Considers More Steps Against Russia in Coming Days - March 18th, 2018