With US nuclear-capable stealth bombers looming over the Korean Peninsula, North Korea is also continuing to ratchet up the rhetoric, saying they have put all of their rockets on “standby” is response to the threat.
The threats going back and forth are seemingly empty, with North Korea repeatedly claiming their missile systems have been upgrade to “highest” possible levels of readiness only to find another even higher level of alert for a new announcement.
And while the US continues to lash North Korea for its bellicose statements, they are responding seemingly in kind, adding more and more nuke-capable bombers to the theater and talking up plans for war.
Though these periods of tit-for-tat threats are nothing new, they do occasionally lead to incidents of violence along the disputed border, and with the latest US pact with South Korea, even a minor incident could conceivably lead to a precipitous escalation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump's Pentagon to Spend Nearly $500 Million on Gitmo Construction - August 21st, 2017
- US Navy Halts Fleet Operations After Latest Collision - August 21st, 2017
- Russia Says 200 ISIS Fighters Killed in a Single Syria Airstrike - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Officials Trying to Finalize Legal Language to Expand Gitmo's Use - August 20th, 2017
- White House Continues to Talk Up 'Preventative War' Against North Korea - August 20th, 2017