Systems Had Already Been Reported at Highest Readiness Weeks Ago
With US nuclear-capable stealth bombers looming over the Korean Peninsula, North Korea is also continuing to ratchet up the rhetoric, saying they have put all of their rockets on “standby” is response to the threat.
The threats going back and forth are seemingly empty, with North Korea repeatedly claiming their missile systems have been upgrade to “highest” possible levels of readiness only to find another even higher level of alert for a new announcement.
And while the US continues to lash North Korea for its bellicose statements, they are responding seemingly in kind, adding more and more nuke-capable bombers to the theater and talking up plans for war.
Though these periods of tit-for-tat threats are nothing new, they do occasionally lead to incidents of violence along the disputed border, and with the latest US pact with South Korea, even a minor incident could conceivably lead to a precipitous escalation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US to Send More Combat Troops to Iraq to Attack ISIS in Syria - December 1st, 2015
- At Least Nine Killed in Baghdad Suicide Bombing - November 30th, 2015
- South Africa Told Bush, Blair That Iraq Had No WMDs - November 30th, 2015
- Iraq Announces 'Imminent' Assault on ISIS-Held Ramadi - November 30th, 2015
- Advanced Russian Fighters Arrive in Syria to Escort Bombing Raids - November 30th, 2015