Systems Had Already Been Reported at Highest Readiness Weeks Ago
With US nuclear-capable stealth bombers looming over the Korean Peninsula, North Korea is also continuing to ratchet up the rhetoric, saying they have put all of their rockets on “standby” is response to the threat.
The threats going back and forth are seemingly empty, with North Korea repeatedly claiming their missile systems have been upgrade to “highest” possible levels of readiness only to find another even higher level of alert for a new announcement.
And while the US continues to lash North Korea for its bellicose statements, they are responding seemingly in kind, adding more and more nuke-capable bombers to the theater and talking up plans for war.
Though these periods of tit-for-tat threats are nothing new, they do occasionally lead to incidents of violence along the disputed border, and with the latest US pact with South Korea, even a minor incident could conceivably lead to a precipitous escalation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Determined to Keep Ground War Option Open in Iraq - September 21st, 2014
- Power: Syria Rebel Training to Aid in Fight Against Assad - September 21st, 2014
- Yemen PM Resigns After Rebels Seize Capital - September 21st, 2014
- Kurdish Refugees Fleeing ISIS Clash with Turkish Police - September 21st, 2014
- Kerry, Iran FM Meet on ISIS, Nuclear Talks - September 21st, 2014