With US nuclear-capable stealth bombers looming over the Korean Peninsula, North Korea is also continuing to ratchet up the rhetoric, saying they have put all of their rockets on “standby” is response to the threat.
The threats going back and forth are seemingly empty, with North Korea repeatedly claiming their missile systems have been upgrade to “highest” possible levels of readiness only to find another even higher level of alert for a new announcement.
And while the US continues to lash North Korea for its bellicose statements, they are responding seemingly in kind, adding more and more nuke-capable bombers to the theater and talking up plans for war.
Though these periods of tit-for-tat threats are nothing new, they do occasionally lead to incidents of violence along the disputed border, and with the latest US pact with South Korea, even a minor incident could conceivably lead to a precipitous escalation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- South Korea Confirms Discussions on Ending 68-Year Korean War - April 18th, 2018
- Trump Says He'll Sanction Russia as Soon as They Deserve It - April 18th, 2018
- Mattis Wanted Congressional Approval for Syria Attack, Trump Said No - April 18th, 2018
- UN Security Team Delays Inspectors Entrance to Douma for 'Safety' - April 18th, 2018
- Syria Says Chemical Weapons Experts to Visit Douma Wednesday (UPDATED) - April 17th, 2018