Urges Troops to Avoid Killing Civilians, Respect Rules of Engagement
Israel’s Central Command has released a series of videos detailing their wargaming and additional training for combat soldiers in the occupied West Bank, anticipating an escalation of the protests among Palestinians.
Protests in the West Bank have been growing for weeks, initially fueled by hunger striking detainees held by Israeli forces without charges, and then by the torture and death of one of the protesters over the weekend, while in Israeli custody.
Though so far the only death among protesters was after an arrest, Israeli troops have responded to demonstrations and stone throwers with live ammunition at times, and have wounded a large number of civilian demonstrators.
The military leadership is trying to convince troops to actually respect the rules of engagement, which explicitly ban the use of live ammunition in response to stones, and admonished them to avoid killing or wounding more civilians, warning it will just make protests worse.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Calls Up 16,000 More Reservists: 86,000 Since Start of War - July 30th, 2014
- Israeli Cabinet Vows to Intensify Gaza War: Over 1,400 Killed - July 30th, 2014
- Shi'ite Militias Execute 15 Sunnis North of Baghdad - July 30th, 2014
- 75 Bodies, Mostly Libyan Soldiers, Found After Benghazi Firefight - July 30th, 2014
- US Senators Push for Lethal Military Aid to Ukraine - July 30th, 2014