Clashes erupted in the West Bank today on the 19th anniversary of the Cave of the Patriarchs massacre, in which settler Baruch Goldstein attacked Palestinians at the Ibrahim Mosque, killing 29 and wounding 125 others.
Several incidents were reported, including stones thrown at Israeli highways and settlers slashing tires in a Palestinian village;. An Israeli soldier was hit with a marble by a Palestinian at the al-Arrub refugee camp, and soldiers shot the Palestinian, wounding him.
Most of the incidents involved attacks on private property, with Palestinians damaging a vineyard near a settlement and settlers uprooting a number of olive trees in a nearby village.
Tensions have been rising in the West Bank in recent weeks, with demonstrators urging Israel to release hunger striking detainees, including one who is said to be in failing health who was already released once and then recaptured on dubious grounds.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- NATO Warns Russian Missile Might Violate Missile Treaty - December 15th, 2017
- US Allegations of Iran Missiles in Yemen Met With Skepticism - December 15th, 2017
- Mattis: North Korean Missiles Not a 'Capable Threat' Against US - December 15th, 2017
- Israeli Troops Kill Four Palestinians, Wound 160 at Friday Protests - December 15th, 2017
- Trump Allies: Tillerson Hasn't Learned His Lesson - December 15th, 2017