Clashes erupted in the West Bank today on the 19th anniversary of the Cave of the Patriarchs massacre, in which settler Baruch Goldstein attacked Palestinians at the Ibrahim Mosque, killing 29 and wounding 125 others.
Several incidents were reported, including stones thrown at Israeli highways and settlers slashing tires in a Palestinian village;. An Israeli soldier was hit with a marble by a Palestinian at the al-Arrub refugee camp, and soldiers shot the Palestinian, wounding him.
Most of the incidents involved attacks on private property, with Palestinians damaging a vineyard near a settlement and settlers uprooting a number of olive trees in a nearby village.
Tensions have been rising in the West Bank in recent weeks, with demonstrators urging Israel to release hunger striking detainees, including one who is said to be in failing health who was already released once and then recaptured on dubious grounds.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017