Locals are confirming that at least eight civilians were killed in the botched French raid on the Somali town of Bulo Marer, including two women and two children. The raid was aimed at rescuing a French spy named Denis Allex.
French officials say they believe Allex has probably been executed by his captors since the failed raid, but al-Shabaab denied this, saying Allex was still in their custody and that they also captured a French soldier in the attack.
Despite the raid ending in a disastrous failure with a significant civilian death-toll, French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian defended the decision to attack, saying that it was “completely unrealistic” to try to negotiate for Allex’s release.
And while one would figure this would be the sort of fiasco people would be ducking for cover to avoid accountability for, President Obama insisted the US “helped” with France’s attack, deploying warplanes into Somali airspace to “support the rescue operation.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Centcom Report Claims Only 14 Civilians Killed in US Strikes Over Past Year - July 28th, 2016
- Syria's Nusra Front Says Cutting Ties With al-Qaeda To Avoid Attacks - July 28th, 2016
- 19 Killed as Local Forces Attack Army in Libya's Benghazi - July 28th, 2016
- US Spy Chief: Too Soon to Blame Russians for DNC Hack - July 28th, 2016
- US Agriculture Secretary: Trump's Russia Comments Could Be a Felony - July 28th, 2016