Tensions along the Kashmiri Line of Control (LoC) continue to worsen today, with reports that a Pakistani military position in Tatta Pani was shelled by Indian artillery, killing one Pakistani soldier and sparking Pakistani retaliation.
It was the fourth confirmed death in the ongoing fighting along the LoC, which has been ongoing since the weekend, when a Pakistani soldier was slain in what was called a cross-border attack on a checkpoint.
After the weekend attack, two Indian soldiers were slain in an ambush on the road to Jammu, and Indian officials claimed that either one or both of the bodies were mutilated, and one was beheaded. Pakistan has denied the charges.
Whatever the particulars of the incidents, both sides continue to insist they are the aggrieved party, and both are continuing to promise significant retaliatory attacks, suggesting that the border dispute will continue to grow for the foreseeable future.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House: Substantial Increase in Military Aid Offered to Israel - July 1st, 2016
- French President: Brexit Cannot Be Cancelled or Delayed - July 1st, 2016
- Putin Warns Finland Against Joining NATO - July 1st, 2016
- Quartet Report: Israel Must Stop Building Settlements - July 1st, 2016
- Israel Imposes Military Closure on Hebron, Withholds Tax Money From Palestinians - July 1st, 2016