Attack Took Place on Base in Helmand
Updating last night’s report of a “green-on-blue” attack on NATO soldiers in Afghanistan, it is now being reported that the victims were British soldiers, and that one was killed and six others, members of an engineering team, were wounded.
The incident took place at Camp Hazrat in the Helmand Province, and Afghan military officials say that several Afghan soldiers were also shot at during the incident, though none were apparently wounded.
The attacker was wearing an Afghan army uniform and appears to have been an Afghan soldier, but officials are still investigating his background to figure out if he was a Taliban infiltrator or if the attack was simply a product of discontent.
Green-on-blue attacks rose dramatically in 2012, and though this is the first of the new year, most analysts expect the trend will continue well into 2013, as the growing Afghan military continues to struggle with huge numbers of deserters and a lack of decent recruits.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Gates, Panetta Fault Obama for 'Micromanaging' Wars - November 20th, 2014
- Joint Chiefs Chairman Predicts ISIS War Will Last Four Years - November 19th, 2014
- Iraqi Kurdish President Complains West Not Giving Him Enough Arms - November 19th, 2014
- New Settlements, Checkpoints as Israel Cracks Down on East Jerusalem - November 19th, 2014
- Ukraine Rules Out Direct Negotiations With Rebels to End War - November 19th, 2014