Major Public Figure, But Top Spokesman's Policy Role Seen Limited
With reports that he had defected into Lebanon to stay in the British Embassy revealed as untrue, a credible report has now placed former Syrian government spokesman Jihad Makdissi in Washington DC, working for the Obama Administration.
Makdissi, who was the spokesman for the Foreign Ministry, is said to have fled with US aid, and is helping US spy agencies gather intelligence on the ongoing civil war, in return for asylum. US officials have declined comment so far.
Makdissi is perhaps the highest ranking foreign official to have turned up directly in a foreign government’s custody after defection, but despite being a very high-profile figure as a spokesman, his policy role is seen as fairly limited, and his knowledge of secret information unclear at best.
How he managed to get to the US remains a mystery, though he was rumored to have spent some time with relatives in Lebanon. Britain has denied any role in his flight.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Assures CIA of Support, Blames Media for Tensions - January 22nd, 2017
- Pentagon Reports ISIS Air War Costs Up to $11 Billion - January 22nd, 2017
- White House in 'Beginning Stages of Talks' to Move Embassy to Jerusalem - January 22nd, 2017
- Netanyahu Vows Unrestricted Building in East Jerusalem Settlements - January 22nd, 2017
- Yemen Reports First US Drone Strikes Under Trump - January 22nd, 2017