Major Public Figure, But Top Spokesman's Policy Role Seen Limited
With reports that he had defected into Lebanon to stay in the British Embassy revealed as untrue, a credible report has now placed former Syrian government spokesman Jihad Makdissi in Washington DC, working for the Obama Administration.
Makdissi, who was the spokesman for the Foreign Ministry, is said to have fled with US aid, and is helping US spy agencies gather intelligence on the ongoing civil war, in return for asylum. US officials have declined comment so far.
Makdissi is perhaps the highest ranking foreign official to have turned up directly in a foreign government’s custody after defection, but despite being a very high-profile figure as a spokesman, his policy role is seen as fairly limited, and his knowledge of secret information unclear at best.
How he managed to get to the US remains a mystery, though he was rumored to have spent some time with relatives in Lebanon. Britain has denied any role in his flight.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- State of Emergency in Baghdad as Protesters Storm Parliament - April 30th, 2016
- Finland Report Warns Joining NATO Would Lead to Crisis With Russia - April 29th, 2016
- Airstrikes Hit Four Clinics in Aleppo in Last Two Days - April 29th, 2016
- 15 Killed as Syrian Rebels Shell Aleppo Mosque - April 29th, 2016
- Russia: US Deployment of Troops to Syria a Violation of Sovereignty - April 29th, 2016